Manor Park man jailed over social media sex assaults
- Credit: Archant
A detective has warned of the dangers of arranging to meet up with people they have previously only had contact with on social media after a man was jailed for the attempted rape and sexual assault of a 14-year-old girl and a girl aged 17.
Adil Hoque targetted the “vulnerable” teenage girls using Twitter and Blackberry Messenger.
The 20-year-old of Sheringham Avenue, Manor Park, was sentenced to eight years in a young offenders institute at Inner London Crown Court on Friday, and given a further 18-month sentence to run concurrently.
He had been found guilty of attempted rape at a trial in October 2012 and further convicted on the sexual assault charge at a re-trial in March this year.
Hoque used Twitter to talk to a 17-year-old girl whom he then offered to drive to college on May 11, 2011.
You may also want to watch:
He sexually assaulted her in his car before she escaped when Hoque was disturbed by a passer-by.
Later in the year Hoque struck again this time talking with a 14-year-old girl via Blackberry Messenger.
- 1 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 2 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 3 Our planet is in a terrible place
- 4 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 5 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 6 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 7 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 8 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 9 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
- 10 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
He met her on Romford Road in Manor Park, after phoning the school pretending to be her uncle.
Hoque then took her home and tried to rape her.
Detective Inspector Simon Ellershaw, of Sapphire, the police unit tackling rape and sexual assault, said: “He deliberately targeted vulnerable girls. It also highlights the dangers of meeting people you don’t know having had contact with them only via social media.”