Manor Park man jailed for cash machine thefts
- Credit: Archant
A Manor Park man who stole nearly £2,000 in cash from cash machines has been jailed.
Mohammed Naaim, 29, was sentenced on Friday, February 13 for his part in the thefts, which took place between September 2013 and August 2014.
Naaim, of Carlyle Road, was arrested in Notting Hill Gate on August 30 along with his accomplice, 19-year-old Issa Mahmood.
Blackfriars Crown Court heard during the trial that the pair targeted elderly people and tourists, stealing a total of three bank cards and £1893.60 in cash.
One of them would approach the victim with a false story about the cash machine being broken and used a piece of paper to disguise what they were doing.
You may also want to watch:
Often the victims didn’t realise what had happened and genuinely believed the machine was broken, the court was told.
Pc Graham Evans, who investigated the case, said: “These two people took advantage of vulnerable people in order to steal from them.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 4 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 5 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 10 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
“They used tactics and methods to take bank cards and withdraw cash. I am pleased they have been bought to justice.”
Naaim and Mahmood, of Fairfield Road, Ilford, were both sentenced to 12 months for assaulting a police officer and six months for an attempted theft, to be served consecutively, and another 12 months for theft, to be served concurrently.