Manor Park man faces jail for deliberately driving into crowd celebrating Eid in Mile End
- Credit: Archant
A Manor Park man is facing jail for deliberately driving his car into a crowd as they celebrated Eid in Mile End.
Akikul Islam, 25, of Stanley Road, left three men with serious injuries after he ploughed his white Range Rover into a group of people during the Eid-al-Fitr event in Frimley Way on July 7 last year.
The Old Bailey heard a fight had broken out between two groups of men which involved baseball bats and bottles being used as weapons.
During the melee a group of men surrounded Islam’s car and instead of driving forward to avoid them he deliberately reversed the vehicle.
One of his three victims, a 20-year-old, was left fighting for his life and is still receiving ongoing medical treatment as a result of his injuries.
Today Islam was found guilty of three counts of GBH and will be sentenced on June 30.
A number of other people who were arrested as part of the investigation remain on bail.
- 1 School which has nine-hour days praised as 'outstanding'
- 2 Men jailed after violent beating with steering wheel lock caught on dashcam
- 3 Remembering speedway at West Ham Stadium 50 years on
- 4 Seven men charged following cannabis factory fight
- 5 Stratford roof-terrace restaurant destroyed by late-night fire
- 6 'Immensely gratifying': Newham college celebrates upping Ofsted grade
- 7 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 8 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 9 VOTE: Which east London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 10 Homes under the Planner: Applications lodged and approved in Newham
Senior Investigating Officer Detective Inspector Chris Soole of Tower Hamlets police said: “Islam’s actions on that morning are utterly shocking. He had ample opportunity to leave the scene but chose to remain and then deliberately drove his car, not just once, but multiple times, at people at the scene.
“Our enquiries into the other events that morning are ongoing and we will seek to arrest all those who contributed to this shocking series of events.”