Manor Park man faces jail for deliberately driving into crowd celebrating Eid in Mile End
- Credit: Archant
A Manor Park man is facing jail for deliberately driving his car into a crowd as they celebrated Eid in Mile End.
Akikul Islam, 25, of Stanley Road, left three men with serious injuries after he ploughed his white Range Rover into a group of people during the Eid-al-Fitr event in Frimley Way on July 7 last year.
The Old Bailey heard a fight had broken out between two groups of men which involved baseball bats and bottles being used as weapons.
During the melee a group of men surrounded Islam’s car and instead of driving forward to avoid them he deliberately reversed the vehicle.
One of his three victims, a 20-year-old, was left fighting for his life and is still receiving ongoing medical treatment as a result of his injuries.
You may also want to watch:
Today Islam was found guilty of three counts of GBH and will be sentenced on June 30.
A number of other people who were arrested as part of the investigation remain on bail.
- 1 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 2 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 3 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 4 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 5 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 6 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 7 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
- 8 Meet the Forest Gate pastor supporting athletes at Tokyo Olympics 2020
- 9 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 10 Tributes to Pearly King of Newham who has died aged 79
Senior Investigating Officer Detective Inspector Chris Soole of Tower Hamlets police said: “Islam’s actions on that morning are utterly shocking. He had ample opportunity to leave the scene but chose to remain and then deliberately drove his car, not just once, but multiple times, at people at the scene.
“Our enquiries into the other events that morning are ongoing and we will seek to arrest all those who contributed to this shocking series of events.”