Manor Park man faces jail for deliberately driving into crowd celebrating Eid in Mile End
- Credit: Archant
A Manor Park man is facing jail for deliberately driving his car into a crowd as they celebrated Eid in Mile End.
Akikul Islam, 25, of Stanley Road, left three men with serious injuries after he ploughed his white Range Rover into a group of people during the Eid-al-Fitr event in Frimley Way on July 7 last year.
The Old Bailey heard a fight had broken out between two groups of men which involved baseball bats and bottles being used as weapons.
During the melee a group of men surrounded Islam’s car and instead of driving forward to avoid them he deliberately reversed the vehicle.
One of his three victims, a 20-year-old, was left fighting for his life and is still receiving ongoing medical treatment as a result of his injuries.
You may also want to watch:
Today Islam was found guilty of three counts of GBH and will be sentenced on June 30.
A number of other people who were arrested as part of the investigation remain on bail.
- 1 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 2 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 3 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 4 Operose: Addressing 'understandable' concerns over GP takeover
- 5 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 6 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 7 Housing campaigners to stage protest in Canning Town over empty homes
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
- 10 Women's FA Cup: West Ham 11 Chichester & Selsey 0
Senior Investigating Officer Detective Inspector Chris Soole of Tower Hamlets police said: “Islam’s actions on that morning are utterly shocking. He had ample opportunity to leave the scene but chose to remain and then deliberately drove his car, not just once, but multiple times, at people at the scene.
“Our enquiries into the other events that morning are ongoing and we will seek to arrest all those who contributed to this shocking series of events.”