Manor Park man faces jail for deliberately driving into crowd celebrating Eid in Mile End
- Credit: Archant
A Manor Park man is facing jail for deliberately driving his car into a crowd as they celebrated Eid in Mile End.
Akikul Islam, 25, of Stanley Road, left three men with serious injuries after he ploughed his white Range Rover into a group of people during the Eid-al-Fitr event in Frimley Way on July 7 last year.
The Old Bailey heard a fight had broken out between two groups of men which involved baseball bats and bottles being used as weapons.
During the melee a group of men surrounded Islam’s car and instead of driving forward to avoid them he deliberately reversed the vehicle.
One of his three victims, a 20-year-old, was left fighting for his life and is still receiving ongoing medical treatment as a result of his injuries.
You may also want to watch:
Today Islam was found guilty of three counts of GBH and will be sentenced on June 30.
A number of other people who were arrested as part of the investigation remain on bail.
- 1 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 2 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 3 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
- 4 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 5 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 6 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 7 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 8 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 9 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 10 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
Senior Investigating Officer Detective Inspector Chris Soole of Tower Hamlets police said: “Islam’s actions on that morning are utterly shocking. He had ample opportunity to leave the scene but chose to remain and then deliberately drove his car, not just once, but multiple times, at people at the scene.
“Our enquiries into the other events that morning are ongoing and we will seek to arrest all those who contributed to this shocking series of events.”