Manor Park man faces jail for deliberately driving into crowd celebrating Eid in Mile End
- Credit: Archant
A Manor Park man is facing jail for deliberately driving his car into a crowd as they celebrated Eid in Mile End.
Akikul Islam, 25, of Stanley Road, left three men with serious injuries after he ploughed his white Range Rover into a group of people during the Eid-al-Fitr event in Frimley Way on July 7 last year.
The Old Bailey heard a fight had broken out between two groups of men which involved baseball bats and bottles being used as weapons.
During the melee a group of men surrounded Islam’s car and instead of driving forward to avoid them he deliberately reversed the vehicle.
One of his three victims, a 20-year-old, was left fighting for his life and is still receiving ongoing medical treatment as a result of his injuries.
You may also want to watch:
Today Islam was found guilty of three counts of GBH and will be sentenced on June 30.
A number of other people who were arrested as part of the investigation remain on bail.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Player ratings: Cresswell shines for West Ham in KRC Genk victory
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
Senior Investigating Officer Detective Inspector Chris Soole of Tower Hamlets police said: “Islam’s actions on that morning are utterly shocking. He had ample opportunity to leave the scene but chose to remain and then deliberately drove his car, not just once, but multiple times, at people at the scene.
“Our enquiries into the other events that morning are ongoing and we will seek to arrest all those who contributed to this shocking series of events.”