Man robbed, beaten and sexually assaulted in East Ham
- Credit: Archant
A man was robbed, beaten and sexually assaulted after he said he did not have any cigarettes on him.
The victim, in his 40s, was returning home from a night out in the borough at around 11pm on Saturday, January 31 when two men approached him outside East Ham station, asking him for cigarettes.
When he said he did not have any, they punched him several times and stole his backpack, ID card and bank card.
They then took him to a cash point where they demanded he draw money out. When he could not, they assaulted him once more.
He was then dragged to a nearby park where he was beaten with a metal pole and forced to perform a sex act on the men whilst they filmed him.
A passer-by heard the man’s cry for help and called police and the London Ambulance Service.
The victim, who does not live locally, was taken to hospital and is now receiving specialist support.
- 1 Stratford roof-terrace restaurant destroyed by late-night fire
- 2 Homes under the Planner: Applications lodged and approved in Newham
- 3 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 4 Man dies after falling unwell in Stratford
- 5 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Newham
- 6 Man held in murder probe after woman fatally stabbed in Custom House
- 7 Man charged with fatal stabbing of woman in Custom House
- 8 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 9 'Unexplained': Man dies after being found unresponsive in Plashet Park
- 10 Wanted: Five people Newham police wish to speak to
Det Con Monir Nairna said: “This was a particularly violent attack, with the suspects brazenly ignoring residents and passers-by in what would have been a busy location.
“Thankfully incidents of this nature are extremely rare and we are conducting numerous inquiries to trace the suspects. Extra patrols have been put in place in the area to provide reassurance.”
The suspects are both described as of Mediterranean appearance and of 20-22 years old with short dark hair.
One had his hair gelled back and was wearing a black hooded top, while the other was wearing white glasses.
Anyone who saw anything, or know who the men are, is asked to contact the police on 020 8217 7451. To remain anonymous, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.