Plaistow man jailed for killing cyclist he punched after argument
- Credit: Essex Police
A man who punched a cyclist from his bike, causing him to hit his head and die, has been jailed for manslaughter.
Ryan Greasley, 23, of Barking Road, Plaistow, admitted causing the death of George Cunningham on December 14 last year.
Basildon Crown Court heard how Mr Cunningham, 52, had been riding through South Ockendon when he stopped to speak to two people in a car.
Witnesses reported shouting and as Mr Cunningham went to ride off, a man got out of the car and chased him before punching him in the back of the head.
Mr Cunningham fell from the bike and hit his head on a hard surface. He was pronounced dead at the scene, having suffered a serious head injury.
You may also want to watch:
Greasley, who was identified as the owner of the car, pleaded guilty to manslaughter and on Monday was jailed for six years.
Det Insp Stuart Truss called it a “needless act of violence” that “illustrates how disagreements can go tragically wrong”.
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 3 'Clearly insufficient' - Canning Town teacher in charge of foodbank talks free school meal hampers
- 4 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 5 Leyton Orient boss is expecting more transfer movement in the window
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 8 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 9 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 10 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London