Plaistow man jailed for killing cyclist he punched after argument
- Credit: Essex Police
A man who punched a cyclist from his bike, causing him to hit his head and die, has been jailed for manslaughter.
Ryan Greasley, 23, of Barking Road, Plaistow, admitted causing the death of George Cunningham on December 14 last year.
Basildon Crown Court heard how Mr Cunningham, 52, had been riding through South Ockendon when he stopped to speak to two people in a car.
Witnesses reported shouting and as Mr Cunningham went to ride off, a man got out of the car and chased him before punching him in the back of the head.
Mr Cunningham fell from the bike and hit his head on a hard surface. He was pronounced dead at the scene, having suffered a serious head injury.
You may also want to watch:
Greasley, who was identified as the owner of the car, pleaded guilty to manslaughter and on Monday was jailed for six years.
Det Insp Stuart Truss called it a “needless act of violence” that “illustrates how disagreements can go tragically wrong”.
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA, by-election and referendum
- 2 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 3 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 4 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 5 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 6 Player ratings: Coufal shines as West Ham fall to Everton defeat
- 7 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 8 Fly-tippers dump loft insulation, building waste and sink on Wanstead Flats
- 9 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 10 We're down, but not out insists West Ham boss Moyes after Everton loss