Man jailed for cousin’s murder
- Credit: Archant
A man who murdered his cousin following a family row was jailed for life yesterday.
Liam Hamilton, 33, from Poplar, was stabbed in the back with a large kitchen knife in Poplar High Street in July last year.
His cousin, Paul Hamilton, 30, of Woodstock Terrace, Poplar, has been told that he will serve a minimum of 26 years in jail after he was found guilty of murder following a trial at the Old Bailey.
Paul Hamilton’s brothers, Thomas and Noel, were found not guilty of murder of violent disorder, and a fourth brother, James, was found not guilty of violent disorder.
The fatal stabbing followed two fights between two eight year-old female family members earlier in the day.
You may also want to watch:
The dispute escalated when the four brothers confronted Liam Hamilton and other family members later in the day, culminating in Liam being fatally stabbed at about 10pm.
All four of the defendants claimed they had acted in self-defence.
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 3 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 6 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 7 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 8 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 9 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 10 'Hi-tech AI' butcher's shop opening in Stratford
Detective Sergeant Martin Head, from the Metropolitan Police’s Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: “What started out as a seemingly minor family row escalated into a senseless murder, which will have a long-lasting impact on all members of the family.
“This is a tragedy for all involved and it is right that Paul Hamilton should spend a long time behind bars for his actions.”