Man jailed for attempted rape in East Ham

Usman Tahir was sentenced to 12 years in jail for the attempted rape of two women. Picture: Met poli

Usman Tahir was sentenced to 12 years in jail for the attempted rape of two women. Picture: Met police - Credit: Met police

A man has been jailed for 12 years for attempting to rape a woman in East Ham and another in Hackney.

Usman Tahir, 25, was sentenced yesterday at Snaresbrook Crown Court after DNA samples taken from both victims confirmed him as the attacker. The first woman was seriously assaulted by Tahir in East Ham in May last year.

She was followed by Tahir before being forced to the ground and seriously assaulted. After she fought Tahir off, he punched her repeatedly to the face, causing serious injuries.

The crime had remained unresolved when a second victim was attacked by Tahir a few months later in September.

A woman on her way home from a night out with friends was approached by Tahir in Dalston Lane before he ushered her into a nearby quiet street and forced her to the floor before sexually assaulting her.

The victim managed to escape and alert a member of the public who called police. CCTV images identified a man running from the scene but his face was obscured.

It was only when DNA samples were taken from the second victim that a link to the earlier sexual assault, which bore the same hallmarks, was made.

Most Read

Further detailed CCTV analysis was carried out and Tahir was arrested in the early hours of September 28 as he returned home, wearing the same clothing and carrying the same bag as the man captured on CCTV running from the scene days earlier.

He was charged with two counts of attempted rape following a positive DNA match against the samples taken from the offences and pleaded guilty to both crimes.

DC Adam Knott said: “Usman Tahir actively sought out, targeted and preyed on lone vulnerable females late at night for his own sexual gratification.

“I would like thank his two victims and acknowledge their courage throughout this investigation. Both were determined to attend court and see justice done.

“The sentence handed down to Tahir today reflects the gravity of both offences and the effect they have had on the victims’ lives. A dangerous offender has been taken off the streets.”