Man jailed after top Newham officer makes tube arrest

Ian Armitt has been jailed

Ian Armitt has been jailed - Credit: Archant

A man has been jailed for assault and racial harassment after he was physically restrained by a plain-clothed officer from Newham at a north London tube station.

Ian Armitt, of Woodhouse Road, North Finchley, was sentenced to 12 weeks behind bars for assault with intent to resist arrest and two counts of racially/religiously aggravated harassment, at Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court, on August 3, after pleading guilty the same day.

Armitt was arrested after Newham Chief Inspector Roger Mitham, who was in plain clothes and was on the way to the Met’s Passing Out Parade at the training centre in Hendon, boarded the same Northern Line tube.

The chief inspector said he noticed the defendant was drunk, aggressive, and behaving in a disorderly manner, so identified himself as a police officer and asked Armitt to leave the tube at Golders Green station.

According to police, Mr Mitham struggled against the defendant and had to hold him against the side of the tube before both of them fell to the ground at the edge of the platform, just as the train was due to leave.

The officer called out to passengers to pull the train alarm and two people came forward to help restrain Armitt who continued to be threatening.

He also racially abused passengers.

Most Read

Armitt was detained by the chief inspector and the two passengers until officers from British Transport Police arrived.

He was later charged and pleaded guilty to all offences at court.

Chief Inspector Roger Mitham from Newham borough said: “I am very grateful for the assistance of the two members of public that day who stepped in to assist me.

“They were under no obligation to do so, but felt this man’s behaviour was unacceptable. Together we were able to subdue this man until police colleagues arrived.”

PC Stephen North of British Transport Police said: “Keeping the railway safe and the people that use it is our main priority.

“I am very appreciative of the actions of Chief Inspector Mitham and the two members of public who assisted in the apprehension of this person.”