Jailed: Hit and run driver who ran over baby at zebra crossing in Forest Gate
- Credit: Archant
A hit and run driver who ran over a 13-month old boy on a zebra crossing has been jailed for 18 months.
Mantas Kaupas of Sherrard Road, Forest Gate went through a red light as he sped off after hitting the baby in his buggy while the tot’s parents were on the crossing at the junction of Dunbar Road and Upton Lane.
Paramedics treated the little one for head injuries before taking him to the Royal London Hospital where he stayed for a week following the crash in May 2017.
Police found the white BMW Kaupas was travelling in abandoned less than a mile away from Upton Lane.
The 37-year-old denied it when he was arrested the following day claiming he had been in all that night.
You may also want to watch:
Det Cons Adam Daisley, from the north-east command unit, said: “It is only a matter of luck that the child did not suffer more serious injuries.
“Kaupas’s driving was unacceptable and the fact that he drove away shows his disdain at what he did.”
- 1 Plans for new West Ham Park playground approved
- 2 Air ambulance lands in East Ham
- 3 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 4 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 5 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 6 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 7 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 8 West Ham United light up London Stadium for Holocaust Memorial Day 2021
- 9 West Ham forward Alisha Lehmann joins Everton on loan
- 10 Artist plans window exhibition to put Newham's artistic talent on the map
Kaupas was sentenced at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Friday after being convicted of causing serious injury by dangerous driving. He was banned from driving for 33 months.