Jailed: Hit and run driver who ran over baby at zebra crossing in Forest Gate
- Credit: Archant
A hit and run driver who ran over a 13-month old boy on a zebra crossing has been jailed for 18 months.
Mantas Kaupas of Sherrard Road, Forest Gate went through a red light as he sped off after hitting the baby in his buggy while the tot’s parents were on the crossing at the junction of Dunbar Road and Upton Lane.
Paramedics treated the little one for head injuries before taking him to the Royal London Hospital where he stayed for a week following the crash in May 2017.
Police found the white BMW Kaupas was travelling in abandoned less than a mile away from Upton Lane.
The 37-year-old denied it when he was arrested the following day claiming he had been in all that night.
You may also want to watch:
Det Cons Adam Daisley, from the north-east command unit, said: “It is only a matter of luck that the child did not suffer more serious injuries.
“Kaupas’s driving was unacceptable and the fact that he drove away shows his disdain at what he did.”
- 1 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 'We haven't waited to act': Newham primary schools extend days to help pupils catch up after pandemic
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 6 Views sought on future of Newham as local plan set for refresh
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 9 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
Kaupas was sentenced at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Friday after being convicted of causing serious injury by dangerous driving. He was banned from driving for 33 months.