Man dies after falling down stairs at Canning Town tube station
- Credit: Archant
A police investigation has been launched after the body of a 35-year-old man was discovered at Canning Town tube station.
The man, who has been named locally as Bernard Ovu, was said to have “died almost instantly” when he fell down stairs at the station.
He was pronounced dead by paramedics and British Transport Police (BTP) officers who were called to the scene just before 9.30am on Sunday, January 22.
A BTP spokeswoman said the circumstances which led to Mr Ovu’s death are “not thought to be suspicious at this stage” but officers from its Fatality Investigation Unit are investigating further.
Steve Griffiths, Chief Operating Officer for London Underground, said: “Following the tragic death of Mr Ovu at Canning Town station our thoughts are with his family and friends.
You may also want to watch:
“An investigation is now underway, by the British Transport Police, and we are offering them every assistance.
An inquest into Mr Ovu’s death opened yesterday at Walthamstow Coroner’s Court and will continue after the investigation’s completion.
- 1 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 2 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
- 3 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 4 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 5 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 6 Trust partnership helps free school meals pupils to eat healthy at home
- 7 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 8 Jarrod Bowen hails West Ham as they dug deep to seal victory over West Brom
- 9 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 10 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19