Man dies after falling down stairs at Canning Town tube station
- Credit: Archant
A police investigation has been launched after the body of a 35-year-old man was discovered at Canning Town tube station.
The man, who has been named locally as Bernard Ovu, was said to have “died almost instantly” when he fell down stairs at the station.
He was pronounced dead by paramedics and British Transport Police (BTP) officers who were called to the scene just before 9.30am on Sunday, January 22.
A BTP spokeswoman said the circumstances which led to Mr Ovu’s death are “not thought to be suspicious at this stage” but officers from its Fatality Investigation Unit are investigating further.
Steve Griffiths, Chief Operating Officer for London Underground, said: “Following the tragic death of Mr Ovu at Canning Town station our thoughts are with his family and friends.
You may also want to watch:
“An investigation is now underway, by the British Transport Police, and we are offering them every assistance.
An inquest into Mr Ovu’s death opened yesterday at Walthamstow Coroner’s Court and will continue after the investigation’s completion.
- 1 Stephen Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 2 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 3 'That is what this club is about' as Mark Noble wants to find West Ham fan
- 4 New primary school in Stratford welcomes first reception class
- 5 Police appeal to bystanders in alleged rape case
- 6 Indian restaurants to try in Newham, as recommended by readers
- 7 New Covid vaccine centres to open across east London
- 8 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 9 Campaigners protest City Farm closure at Town Hall with 6,000-strong petition
- 10 Secondary claims to be 'billion-pound school' based on earnings research