Man dies after accident between car and bus in Manor Park
Police are appealing for witnesses and information following an accident between a car and a bus in Manor Park in which a man died.
The accident happened at around 12.15am yesterday. The car was involved in the accident with the bus in High Street North, near the junction with Romford Road.
The red Ford Ka was travelling north and the late-night double-decker bus was travelling south.
The car contained a woman driver and four passengers, three men and woman.
Scotland Yard said the driver, aged 22, suffered minor injuries. She was arrested on suspicion of driving with excess alcohol, and subsequently causing death by dangerous driving.
You may also want to watch:
She was interviewed at Forest Gate police station and later bailed to return in mid-August pending further inquiries.
One of the rear passengers in the car was pronounced dead at the scene. He was a 29. Police are awaiting formal identification of the man and a post-mortem is to be held.
- 1 Things to do in east London this weekend (August 7-8)
- 2 Man, 19, arrested in Newham during proactive police patrol
- 3 Junior Jah: Police release image of stolen car used in Custom House fatal attack
- 4 Bus crashes into lamp post in Stratford
- 5 Cannabis factory discovered by firefighters tackling blaze in Upton Park
- 6 East Ham cannabis farm raided by police
- 7 Start Me Up: Rolling Stones legend Ronnie Wood opens studio in Canning Town for budding musicians
- 8 Leyton Orient could be without key forwards for season opener at Salford
- 9 Excess death rates in Newham among highest in England and Wales, figures show
- 10 'Beautiful' meadow blossoms at Wanstead Flats a year after Covid-19 mortuary removed
Another rear passenger, a 19-year-old man, was taken to hospital and remains in a serious but stable condition.
The front passenger in the car, a 17-year-old girl was knocked unconscious but suffered only minor injuries.
A third rear seat passenger, a man, left the scene prior to police arrival and is still to be traced.
The bus driver was also taken to hospital but was not seriously injured.
Officers from the Road Death 0nvestigation Unit at Chadwell Heath are appealing to trace witnesses who may have seen the events leading up to the accident, the collision itself and the events that followed
The road was closed for several hours after the accident.
Anyone who can assist should call (020) 8597 4874 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.