Man dies after accident between car and bus in Manor Park
Police are appealing for witnesses and information following an accident between a car and a bus in Manor Park in which a man died.
The accident happened at around 12.15am yesterday. The car was involved in the accident with the bus in High Street North, near the junction with Romford Road.
The red Ford Ka was travelling north and the late-night double-decker bus was travelling south.
The car contained a woman driver and four passengers, three men and woman.
Scotland Yard said the driver, aged 22, suffered minor injuries. She was arrested on suspicion of driving with excess alcohol, and subsequently causing death by dangerous driving.
You may also want to watch:
She was interviewed at Forest Gate police station and later bailed to return in mid-August pending further inquiries.
One of the rear passengers in the car was pronounced dead at the scene. He was a 29. Police are awaiting formal identification of the man and a post-mortem is to be held.
- 1 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 2 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 3 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 4 Operose: Addressing 'understandable' concerns over GP takeover
- 5 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 6 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 7 Housing campaigners to stage protest in Canning Town over empty homes
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
- 10 Women's FA Cup: West Ham 11 Chichester & Selsey 0
Another rear passenger, a 19-year-old man, was taken to hospital and remains in a serious but stable condition.
The front passenger in the car, a 17-year-old girl was knocked unconscious but suffered only minor injuries.
A third rear seat passenger, a man, left the scene prior to police arrival and is still to be traced.
The bus driver was also taken to hospital but was not seriously injured.
Officers from the Road Death 0nvestigation Unit at Chadwell Heath are appealing to trace witnesses who may have seen the events leading up to the accident, the collision itself and the events that followed
The road was closed for several hours after the accident.
Anyone who can assist should call (020) 8597 4874 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.