Man detained after being found guilty of East Ham pensioner attacks
- Credit: Archant
A man who was found guilty of brutally attacking three people in East Ham, including two pensioners, has today been detained in a mental health unit.
Kyrone Jospeh, 23, of Victoria Avenue, East Ham, was convicted of two counts of causing grievous bodily harm and one count of wounding with intent, following a trial at Snaresbrook Crown Court in May.
Joseph attacked his first victim, 75-year-old Patricia Beckford, in Grangewood Street, when she was returning home from a shopping trip on a mobility scooter.
Mrs Beckford was left with a broken jaw in two places and severe facial injuries after being struck repeatedly in the head.
In a victim statement the pensioner claimed Joesph had been making noises throughout the incident “as if he enjoyed attacking her”.
You may also want to watch:
Five days later he violently attacked Ann Pooley, 37, in Balaam Street, by punching her repeatedly in the face and on June 20 he attacked 71-year-old William Boatwright, also in Grangewood Street.
During the trial, jurors heard how the blood of Mr Boatwright and Mrs Pooley was found on the trainers Joseph was wearing when he was arrested in June last year.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 3 Rape survivor awarded British Empire Medal for services to community in pandemic
- 4 Leyton Orient linked with Omar Beckles, Connor Wood and Paul Smyth
- 5 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 6 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 7 Woman dies in fire at Stratford home
- 8 Newham Muslim groups urge Boris Johnson to condemn attack in Canada
- 9 Leyton Orient sign defender Omar Beckles from Crewe Alexandra
- 10 Barking sign former Leyton Orient duo Elliott Omozusi and Charlie MacDonald
In a statement read out during the sentencing on Joseph’s behalf he admitted the crimes, having previously pleaded not guilty, and said he was “deeply regretful” and “offered his apology to the victims”.
During sentencing, judge Nicholas Huskinson, said: “Each of the attacks were unprovoked and apparently random acts against members of the public, two of whom were elderly, and who were unknown to you.
“The regrettable situation for these three victims was that they were in the wrong place at the wrong time.”
Joseph has been detained under section 37 of the Mental Health Act and a section 41 restriction order without a limit of time has also been put in place. He is to be treated at a mental health trust in London.