Man denies Westield Stratford City murder in court
A man accused of stabbing someone to death in a fight in Westfield Stratford City denied murder in court today.
Nii-Azu Kojo-Smith, 18, appeared at the Old Bailey on suspicion of the murder of Liam Woodards, 24, on The Street area of the shopping complex on June 29.
Mr Woodards was pronounced dead at the scene.
Kojo-Smith appeared via videolink for a brief hearing, during which he spoke only to confirm his name and deny charges of murder and violent disorder.
Riaz Anderson, 19, Michael Alvaranga, 24, Travis Townsend, 21, and Javin Rigabie, 23, also pleaded not guilty to the same charge of violent disorder.
You may also want to watch:
They are the first of 14 defendants to enter pleas relating to the killing.
The suspects will go before the court in two separate trials, the first of which will include Kojo-Smith and is due to begin on February 25 next year.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 3 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 4 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 5 Carpenters Estate neighbours to vote on redevelopment plans
- 6 High Court judge rules no further action needed over embargo breach by Newham company boss
- 7 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 8 Brilliant moment for Okoflex as he nets in West Ham's win at Celtic
- 9 Man injured as glass falls from Canning Town bus station canopy
- 10 Boy, 16, found stabbed in Custom House