Man denies Westield Stratford City murder in court
A man accused of stabbing someone to death in a fight in Westfield Stratford City denied murder in court today.
Nii-Azu Kojo-Smith, 18, appeared at the Old Bailey on suspicion of the murder of Liam Woodards, 24, on The Street area of the shopping complex on June 29.
Mr Woodards was pronounced dead at the scene.
Kojo-Smith appeared via videolink for a brief hearing, during which he spoke only to confirm his name and deny charges of murder and violent disorder.
Riaz Anderson, 19, Michael Alvaranga, 24, Travis Townsend, 21, and Javin Rigabie, 23, also pleaded not guilty to the same charge of violent disorder.
You may also want to watch:
They are the first of 14 defendants to enter pleas relating to the killing.
The suspects will go before the court in two separate trials, the first of which will include Kojo-Smith and is due to begin on February 25 next year.
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 3 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 4 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 5 Artist plans window exhibition to put Newham's artistic talent on the map
- 6 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 7 West Ham forward Alisha Lehmann joins Everton on loan
- 8 'Clearly insufficient' - Canning Town teacher in charge of foodbank talks free school meal hampers
- 9 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 10 £10.1m grant strategy approved to support businesses as pandemic continues