Man denies Westield Stratford City murder in court
A man accused of stabbing someone to death in a fight in Westfield Stratford City denied murder in court today.
Nii-Azu Kojo-Smith, 18, appeared at the Old Bailey on suspicion of the murder of Liam Woodards, 24, on The Street area of the shopping complex on June 29.
Mr Woodards was pronounced dead at the scene.
Kojo-Smith appeared via videolink for a brief hearing, during which he spoke only to confirm his name and deny charges of murder and violent disorder.
Riaz Anderson, 19, Michael Alvaranga, 24, Travis Townsend, 21, and Javin Rigabie, 23, also pleaded not guilty to the same charge of violent disorder.
You may also want to watch:
They are the first of 14 defendants to enter pleas relating to the killing.
The suspects will go before the court in two separate trials, the first of which will include Kojo-Smith and is due to begin on February 25 next year.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Player ratings: Cresswell shines for West Ham in KRC Genk victory
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley