Man convicted of raping woman celebrating anniversary with boyfriend in east London
A man was today convicted of raping a drunken woman who became separated from her boyfriend as they celebrated their anniversary with champagne and cocaine in east London.
Michael Wilson, 31, of Grange Road, Plaistow was found guilty of raping the Welsh victim on April 11 this year.
Ahmed Qaras, 27, of Shrewsbury Road, Forest Gate was cleared of aiding and abetting a rape. He had earlier pleaded guilty of drink drive and driving while disqualified.
Snaresbrook Crown Court heard the two men were found with the naked victim in the back of their car in Leytonstone.
She was visiting London for the weekend with her boyfriend as the pair celebrated their first 12 months together. The couple were in a nightclub in Shoreditch, when they lost each other.
You may also want to watch:
The court heard the two men picked up the woman, who is in her 20s, after she could not find her way home and was not sure where she was.
Police were alerted when they saw their car driving erratically in Cambridge Heath Road, Bethnal Green at 1.50am.
- 1 Roof destroyed by fire in Upton Park
- 2 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 3 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 4 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 5 Next court date for drink driving accused after Beckton collision
- 6 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 7 Moyes: It was a good, tough test for West Ham at Brentford
- 8 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 9 'It's about safety': Manor Park neighbours urge council to crack down on pavement parking
- 10 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
The car slowed down and officers believed the two men had “seat swapped” as Qaras who was behind the wheel at the time was disqualified from driving.
When the car was pulled over, officers realised the woman was naked in the back with Qaras and she was not aware where she was.
Wilson was in the front passenger seat half naked.
Both men were arrested and Wilson was charged with rape and Qaras with aiding and abetting the offence.
Qaras was also charged with driving while disqualified and driving with excess alcohol.
Both men have been remanded in custody until sentencing at Snaresbrook Crown Court on December 5.
Detective Constable Spencer White of the Met’s Sexual Offences, Exploitation & Child Abuse Command said: “I am very pleased with the outcome of this trial, particularly for the victim. She has shown immense courage throughout the case and during the trial.
“The defendants in this case clearly targeted her due to her vulnerability at the time and this outcome will help bring to an end a very difficult chapter in her life.”