Man confessed to ‘table leg’ killing, Old Bailey told
A restaurant owner accused of killing a man who was having a relationship with a 13-year-old girl confessed he had carried out the murder, the Old Bailey heard.
Lilu Miah, 48, is said to have battered 21-year-old Sumon Miah (no relation) to death with a table leg on the orders of the teenager’s mother, Gedu Bibi.
He was arrested and interviewed by police but was never charged after Bibi’s daughter claimed she had hit the victim in self-defence, jurors were told.
But witness Monor Uddin claimed that Miah admitted he was responsible for the attack on October 8, 2006. Mr Uddin told jurors that Lilu Miah asked him to come with him to the police station and added: “It’s about the murder.”
“He said there was a boy that has been murdered but he didn’t say who done it or how it’s been done.”
You may also want to watch:
But a few weeks later Miah revealed that Sumon Miah had been lured to Bibi’s family home in Priory Court, Walthamstow.
Mr Uddin said: “He said he had done this murder by himself. He did it. The boy was following the girl and they was trying to chase him. The girl was saying, ‘If you want to come to my house you can’.
- 1 Letter: Targeted response in London to Indian Covid variant
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 4 West Ham Women bow out of FA Cup at Manchester City
- 5 'Concern over reliability of cladding and fire safety assessments'
- 6 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 7 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 8 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 9 West Ham boss Moyes not giving up on European dream despite Brighton draw
- 10 Newham to roll out greener fleet as part of £20m plans
“As soon as the boy came in the door they push him on the sofa. Lilu was sitting in the kitchen with a stock.”
“Lilu came out and banged his head just once. The boy collapsed.”
The victim, 21, fell into a coma and died in hospital nine days later after suffering a fractured skull and brain damage.
The prosecution claim Bibi arranged the attack after finding out Sumon Miah had topless photographs of her daughter on his mobile phone.
Jurors have heard that Lilu Miah had an affair with Bibi, 47, who used to come to his home to cook and clean for his disabled wife.
Bibi and Miah are now standing trial at the Old Bailey accused of the murder of Sumon Miah.
It is claimed Lilu Miah’s nephew, Dobir Miah, 36, provided a false alibi by claiming the pair had been together at the time.
Bibi, of Priory Road, Forest Gate and Lilu Miah, of no fixed address, both deny murder, while Bibi also denies a separate count of perverting the course of justice.
Lilu Miah and Dobir Miah, of Roslyn Street, Highfield Road, Leicester, deny conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.
The trial continues.