Man arrested on suspicion of Stratford church arson attacks
- Credit: Archant
Police investigating a series of fires at churches have arrested a man on suspicion of arson.
The 27-year-old was initially arrested yesterday evening (Monday) on suspicion of burglary and possession of a bladed article.
He was then further arrested on suspicion of arson and criminal damage, and currently remains in custody at an east London police station.
Police investigating fires at four churches - two in Stratford and two in Leytonstone - have said they are keeping an open mind as to the motive and whether there is any hate crime element to the incidents.
Anyone with information is asked to call police on 101 quoting CAD2459/19JUN or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
You may also want to watch:
You can also call Crimestoppers anonymously via 0800 555 111.
- 1 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA, by-election and referendum
- 3 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 4 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
- 5 Fly-tippers dump loft insulation, building waste and sink on Wanstead Flats
- 6 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 7 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 8 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 9 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 10 Police name victim of Custom House fatal shooting and stabbing