Man arrested on suspicion of Stratford church arson attacks
- Credit: Archant
Police investigating a series of fires at churches have arrested a man on suspicion of arson.
The 27-year-old was initially arrested yesterday evening (Monday) on suspicion of burglary and possession of a bladed article.
He was then further arrested on suspicion of arson and criminal damage, and currently remains in custody at an east London police station.
Police investigating fires at four churches - two in Stratford and two in Leytonstone - have said they are keeping an open mind as to the motive and whether there is any hate crime element to the incidents.
Anyone with information is asked to call police on 101 quoting CAD2459/19JUN or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
You may also want to watch:
You can also call Crimestoppers anonymously via 0800 555 111.
- 1 'It's about safety': Manor Park neighbours urge council to crack down on pavement parking
- 2 Roof destroyed by fire in Upton Park
- 3 East Ham cannabis farm raided by police
- 4 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 5 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 6 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 7 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 8 Free climber scales Stratford skyscraper for climate change awareness
- 9 Next court date for drink driving accused after Beckton collision
- 10 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections