Man arrested on suspicion of Stratford church arson attacks
- Credit: Archant
Police investigating a series of fires at churches have arrested a man on suspicion of arson.
The 27-year-old was initially arrested yesterday evening (Monday) on suspicion of burglary and possession of a bladed article.
He was then further arrested on suspicion of arson and criminal damage, and currently remains in custody at an east London police station.
Police investigating fires at four churches - two in Stratford and two in Leytonstone - have said they are keeping an open mind as to the motive and whether there is any hate crime element to the incidents.
Anyone with information is asked to call police on 101 quoting CAD2459/19JUN or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
You can also call Crimestoppers anonymously via 0800 555 111.
- 1 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 2 First Omicron case reported in Newham
- 3 Possible travel disruptions for central London this week
- 4 'Important' to get back to winning ways for West Ham says Lanzini
- 5 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 6 West Ham showed great character and resilience to beat Chelsea says Moyes
- 7 Weather warning issued ahead of expected gale force winds in London
- 8 12 people wanted after unlinked Newham robberies
- 9 Leyton Orient progress in FA Cup with huge win over Tranmere
- 10 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex