Man arrested after reports of armed robbery and kidnap in Stratford
- Credit: Archant
A man was arrested yesterday on suspicion of armed robbery and kidnap after reports his victim was held at knife point on a wild spree.
The victim claims the suspect entered his car in Stratford in the early hours of Saturday morning and drove through Barking and Dagenham, demanding he withrew large amounts of money for him from different cash points.
The 40-year-old says he was then forced to drive to Rainham Marshes, where the suspect reportedly held a knife to his throat, demanding he exit the car before driving off in it.
He then managed to flag someone down for help, who called the police at about 5am. The stolen car has since been recovered and is awaiting a forensic examination.
Detectives took the suspect into custody at 8.30am in Barking after the 40-year-old victim said he had just spotted his kidnapper.
You may also want to watch:
The individual, who is in his 40s, remains in a east London police station pending further enquiries and awaits formal identification.
Anyone with information should call the police on 101.
- 1 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 2 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 3 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 4 Operose: Addressing 'understandable' concerns over GP takeover
- 5 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 6 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 7 Housing campaigners to stage protest in Canning Town over empty homes
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
- 10 Women's FA Cup: West Ham 11 Chichester & Selsey 0