Man arrested after reports of armed robbery and kidnap in Stratford
- Credit: Archant
A man was arrested yesterday on suspicion of armed robbery and kidnap after reports his victim was held at knife point on a wild spree.
The victim claims the suspect entered his car in Stratford in the early hours of Saturday morning and drove through Barking and Dagenham, demanding he withrew large amounts of money for him from different cash points.
The 40-year-old says he was then forced to drive to Rainham Marshes, where the suspect reportedly held a knife to his throat, demanding he exit the car before driving off in it.
He then managed to flag someone down for help, who called the police at about 5am. The stolen car has since been recovered and is awaiting a forensic examination.
Detectives took the suspect into custody at 8.30am in Barking after the 40-year-old victim said he had just spotted his kidnapper.
You may also want to watch:
The individual, who is in his 40s, remains in a east London police station pending further enquiries and awaits formal identification.
Anyone with information should call the police on 101.
- 1 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 2 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 3 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 6 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 7 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 8 Antonio 'surprised' to score West Ham winner against Tottenham
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber