Man arrested after reports of armed robbery and kidnap in Stratford
- Credit: Archant
A man was arrested yesterday on suspicion of armed robbery and kidnap after reports his victim was held at knife point on a wild spree.
The victim claims the suspect entered his car in Stratford in the early hours of Saturday morning and drove through Barking and Dagenham, demanding he withrew large amounts of money for him from different cash points.
The 40-year-old says he was then forced to drive to Rainham Marshes, where the suspect reportedly held a knife to his throat, demanding he exit the car before driving off in it.
He then managed to flag someone down for help, who called the police at about 5am. The stolen car has since been recovered and is awaiting a forensic examination.
Detectives took the suspect into custody at 8.30am in Barking after the 40-year-old victim said he had just spotted his kidnapper.
You may also want to watch:
The individual, who is in his 40s, remains in a east London police station pending further enquiries and awaits formal identification.
Anyone with information should call the police on 101.
- 1 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
- 2 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 3 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 4 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 5 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 6 Labour Party investigates second Newham councillor over antisemitism
- 7 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 8 Newham housing association offers homes to Hackney Council with £10m price tag
- 9 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 10 Stratford dance and music hub gets £700k boost