Man arrested after reports of armed robbery and kidnap in Stratford
- Credit: Archant
A man was arrested yesterday on suspicion of armed robbery and kidnap after reports his victim was held at knife point on a wild spree.
The victim claims the suspect entered his car in Stratford in the early hours of Saturday morning and drove through Barking and Dagenham, demanding he withrew large amounts of money for him from different cash points.
The 40-year-old says he was then forced to drive to Rainham Marshes, where the suspect reportedly held a knife to his throat, demanding he exit the car before driving off in it.
He then managed to flag someone down for help, who called the police at about 5am. The stolen car has since been recovered and is awaiting a forensic examination.
Detectives took the suspect into custody at 8.30am in Barking after the 40-year-old victim said he had just spotted his kidnapper.
You may also want to watch:
The individual, who is in his 40s, remains in a east London police station pending further enquiries and awaits formal identification.
Anyone with information should call the police on 101.
- 1 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 2 West Ham sign World Cup-winning goalkeeper Alphonse Areola on loan
- 3 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 4 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 5 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 6 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world
- 7 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 8 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 9 'Life-saving' service at Canning Town homeless charity scoops £150k
- 10 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections