Man, 81, has jaw broken in ‘brutal’ broad daylight attack in Greenway
- Credit: Archant
Pensioner Samuel Cooper was enjoying a walk with his dog in the Greenway at midday last Thursday when he was approached by a stranger.
The unknown man, who was white, stocky, and around 30, shouted abuse at the 81-year-old, telling him to keep his dog on a lead.
Within seconds, the suspect lunged at Samuel and tried to bite his face.
When he failed, he punched the elderly man so hard that he was knocked unconscious.
Samuel had to have reconstructive surgery on his jaw, which was broken in two places.
You may also want to watch:
DC Jon Saddington from Newham CID said: “This was a brutal attack on an elderly gentleman simply out walking his dog. To attack a defenceless individual in such a brutal manner is despicable.”
Now detectives are appealing for anyone who witnessed the assault or who has information about the suspect, who is around 5ft 8ins in height with short stubble, short dark hair, and was wearing dark jeans and a short-sleeved top.
- 1 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 2 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
- 3 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 4 Fly-tippers dump loft insulation, building waste and sink on Wanstead Flats
- 5 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 6 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 7 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 8 Elections: London mayor and Assembly member, East Ham cllr and referendum
- 9 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 10 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA, by-election and referendum
Police are also keen to identify a potential witness - an Asian man who was walking his dog in the area moments before the attack happened.