Man, 81, has jaw broken in ‘brutal’ broad daylight attack in Greenway
- Credit: Archant
Pensioner Samuel Cooper was enjoying a walk with his dog in the Greenway at midday last Thursday when he was approached by a stranger.
The unknown man, who was white, stocky, and around 30, shouted abuse at the 81-year-old, telling him to keep his dog on a lead.
Within seconds, the suspect lunged at Samuel and tried to bite his face.
When he failed, he punched the elderly man so hard that he was knocked unconscious.
Samuel had to have reconstructive surgery on his jaw, which was broken in two places.
DC Jon Saddington from Newham CID said: “This was a brutal attack on an elderly gentleman simply out walking his dog. To attack a defenceless individual in such a brutal manner is despicable.”
Now detectives are appealing for anyone who witnessed the assault or who has information about the suspect, who is around 5ft 8ins in height with short stubble, short dark hair, and was wearing dark jeans and a short-sleeved top.
- 1 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Jackett hoping to strengthen squad
- 3 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 4 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 5 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 6 New boy Brown 'buzzing' to help Leyton Orient
- 7 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 8 Beckton children’s hospice given £5k to replace stolen garden equipment
- 9 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
- 10 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
Police are also keen to identify a potential witness - an Asian man who was walking his dog in the area moments before the attack happened.