Man, 81, has jaw broken in ‘brutal’ broad daylight attack in Greenway
- Credit: Archant
Pensioner Samuel Cooper was enjoying a walk with his dog in the Greenway at midday last Thursday when he was approached by a stranger.
The unknown man, who was white, stocky, and around 30, shouted abuse at the 81-year-old, telling him to keep his dog on a lead.
Within seconds, the suspect lunged at Samuel and tried to bite his face.
When he failed, he punched the elderly man so hard that he was knocked unconscious.
Samuel had to have reconstructive surgery on his jaw, which was broken in two places.
DC Jon Saddington from Newham CID said: “This was a brutal attack on an elderly gentleman simply out walking his dog. To attack a defenceless individual in such a brutal manner is despicable.”
Now detectives are appealing for anyone who witnessed the assault or who has information about the suspect, who is around 5ft 8ins in height with short stubble, short dark hair, and was wearing dark jeans and a short-sleeved top.
- 1 Guilty: Man murdered woman at bus stop and tried to kill another a day later
- 2 Man charged with Beckton murder as victim named
- 3 Maryland machete murderer found guilty - as police hunt second attacker
- 4 3 arrests after death of man found unresponsive in Beckton
- 5 Arrest of 'Ilford kingpin' sparked ‘biggest ever' Channel crossings crack down
- 6 Jailed: Forest Gate serial arsonist who started more than two dozen fires
- 7 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 8 Revealed: Cause of terraced houses blaze in East Ham
- 9 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 10 Have you seen Lisa, 47, who is missing from Forest Gate?
Police are also keen to identify a potential witness - an Asian man who was walking his dog in the area moments before the attack happened.