Man, 74, robbed by women in Manor Park
A 74-year-old man was robbed by two women in Manor Park as he tried to give them directions.
The robbers got out of a black Volkswagen car as the man walked along Sheringham Avenue.
As one woman asked for directions the second walked behind him and snatched his gold chain from around his neck.
There was a struggle but both women – white and of Mediterranean appearance – got back into the car which drove off on Monday, June 4 at around 3.30pm.
Anyone with information can call Newham Robbery Squad on 020 8217 5086 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Crime prevention officer Andy Whitfield said: “The chance that this will ever happen to you is quite small, but you should be aware of what you can do, and should do, to keep yourself and your property safe.”
n Make sure jewellery is not visible.
- 1 'Suspicious' Forest Gate construction fire under investigation
- 2 Wanted: Five people Newham police wish to speak to
- 3 Teenager from Newham found safe and well
- 4 Burglars jailed for violent Upminster burglary where boy, 11, was shot
- 5 'Never limit ourselves': Newham dance school reaches 18 years of success
- 6 The ex-gang member who turned from crime to become a pastor mentoring young people
- 7 Gainsborough Avenue stabbing: 14-year-old boy charged
- 8 Pensioner dies after being critically injured in East Ham crash
- 9 Two arrests after multi-vehicle crash on Barking Road
- 10 Jailed: 9 east London offenders put behind bars in April
n Do not travel alone if possible.
n Plan your journey and consider using a minicab or taxi.
n Avoid dark or deserted areas at night.
n Be aware of your surroundings and stay alert.
n Have your keys ready before you get home so that you can unlock your home and enter.
n What may to you look like a simple piece of jewellery could be potential cash to an opportunist robber.