Man, 32, jailed after Plaistow betting shop robberies
- Credit: Archant
A man who terrorised staff during a string of armed robberies at betting shops has been jailed.
After repeatedly targeting shops for almost a year, two of which were in Plaistow, Islam Uddin, of no fixed abode, pleaded guilty at the Old Bailey to seven counts of robbery, two counts of attempted robbery and nine counts of possession of a firearm with intent to commit an offence.
Officers arrested the 32-year-old, who was armed with an air pistol at the time, in December last year soon after he committed a robbery on a betting shop in Barking Road, Plaistow.
During each of the robberies, which took place at Coral and Paddy Power stores in Barking Road, Plaistow, as well as a Betfred shop in the Mile End Road, Uddin threatened staff with a pistol and demanded cash, taking around £1,500 in total.
Uddin was sentenced on Thursday to 10 years imprisonment.
You may also want to watch:
Det Const Mark Waker from the Flying Squad said: ““Uddin terrorised the staff at the betting shops he targeted.
“Many of them were left extremely shaken after he threatened them with a gun.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 3 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 4 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 5 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 6 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 7 Carpenters Estate neighbours to vote on redevelopment plans
- 8 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 9 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 10 Brilliant moment for Okoflex as he nets in West Ham's win at Celtic
“It was only through good fortune that nobody was seriously injured by him. This sentence means that a dangerous and violent criminal is now behind bars for a considerable time.”