London riots: criminals shamed on vans around Newham
Police will display CCTV images of those who shamed Newham during the London riots on vans in high profile spots across the borough next weekend.
The advertising vans will flash photos of those wanted in connection with the violence and looting last month on digital screens from 9am to 5pm on Saturday September 10 and Sunday 11 in busy commercial spots including High Street North, Green Street, Stratford, and Prince Regent Lane.
DCI Kevin Baldwin said: “We urge the public to visit the ad vans as they tour the borough and take a look at some of our existing footage.
“This is just another tactic we are exploring to identify and bring criminals to justice. Already, an overwhelming number of people have come forward to help police.
“We want to build upon this by tracking down every single person who stole and broke the law during that period. ”
You may also want to watch:
Local officers will be accompanying the screens to talk to the community and to give updates on results.
Residents can identify people from the footage by calling a dedicated number for Newham on 0208 217 5078 and quoting the reference numbers that are shown with the images.
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 3 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 6 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 7 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 8 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 9 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 10 'Hi-tech AI' butcher's shop opening in Stratford
Callers wishing to remain anonymous can phone Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.