London riots: criminals shamed on vans around Newham
Police will display CCTV images of those who shamed Newham during the London riots on vans in high profile spots across the borough next weekend.
The advertising vans will flash photos of those wanted in connection with the violence and looting last month on digital screens from 9am to 5pm on Saturday September 10 and Sunday 11 in busy commercial spots including High Street North, Green Street, Stratford, and Prince Regent Lane.
DCI Kevin Baldwin said: “We urge the public to visit the ad vans as they tour the borough and take a look at some of our existing footage.
“This is just another tactic we are exploring to identify and bring criminals to justice. Already, an overwhelming number of people have come forward to help police.
“We want to build upon this by tracking down every single person who stole and broke the law during that period. ”
You may also want to watch:
Local officers will be accompanying the screens to talk to the community and to give updates on results.
Residents can identify people from the footage by calling a dedicated number for Newham on 0208 217 5078 and quoting the reference numbers that are shown with the images.
- 1 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 2 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 3 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 4 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 5 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 6 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 7 Canning town bus station reopens after falling glass injures man
- 8 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 9 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 10 Deadline looming to comment on proposed constituency changes
Callers wishing to remain anonymous can phone Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.