London riots: criminals shamed on vans around Newham
Police will display CCTV images of those who shamed Newham during the London riots on vans in high profile spots across the borough next weekend.
The advertising vans will flash photos of those wanted in connection with the violence and looting last month on digital screens from 9am to 5pm on Saturday September 10 and Sunday 11 in busy commercial spots including High Street North, Green Street, Stratford, and Prince Regent Lane.
DCI Kevin Baldwin said: “We urge the public to visit the ad vans as they tour the borough and take a look at some of our existing footage.
“This is just another tactic we are exploring to identify and bring criminals to justice. Already, an overwhelming number of people have come forward to help police.
“We want to build upon this by tracking down every single person who stole and broke the law during that period. ”
You may also want to watch:
Local officers will be accompanying the screens to talk to the community and to give updates on results.
Residents can identify people from the footage by calling a dedicated number for Newham on 0208 217 5078 and quoting the reference numbers that are shown with the images.
- 1 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 2 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 3 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 4 Our planet is in a terrible place
- 5 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 6 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 7 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
- 8 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 9 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 10 West Ham assistant manager Alan Irvine backs Said Benrahma to end goal drought
Callers wishing to remain anonymous can phone Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.