Life for teenager found guilty of market trader’s murder

Javauntee Campbell and Karlton Burton were sentenced at the Old Bailey today

Javauntee Campbell and Karlton Burton were sentenced at the Old Bailey today - Credit: Archant

A teenager has been sentenced to life imprisonment for his role in the murder of Queen’s Market trader Rashid Naeem.

Karlton Burton, 15, of William Morley Close, was found guilty of murder at the Old Bailey in July, and today was told he must serve a minimum of 15 years behind bars.

Javauntee Campbell, 16, also of William Morley Close, was found guilty of manslaughter at the same trial and jailed for 10 years.

A third boy, aged 15, was found not guilty.

Mr Naeem, who lived in Clements Road, was working on the market stall he shared with his brother on February 16 when the three teenagers started handling the mobile phones on the stall.

After moving the phones, one of the group asked the brothers, “are you scared?” before stealing watches from the stall.

One of the watches was recovered, but when the Naeems confronted them to get the second watch back 15 minutes later, a struggle broke out and Mr Naeem was fatally stabbed.

Most Read

He died at the Royal London Hospital two days later from his injuries.

Burton, Campbell and the third boy fled the scene but were caught on CCTV and arrested, with Campbell still in possession of the stolen watch.

Det Insp Ken Hughes of the Homicide and Major Crime Command said: “Rashid Naeem was killed as he tried to protect the business he ran with his brother.

“This was a cold-blooded killing in broad daylight, carried out in a merciless fashion.

“Burton and Campbell attended the market armed with a knife. Whatever their intentions, to come armed meant they were prepared for violence.

“Throughout this trial, the defendants showed no remorse, despite having ample opportunity to do so. I can only hope that today’s sentencing give Mr Naeem’s family some form of closure.”

Read more:

Teenagers found guilty of Queen’s Market trader murder

Green Street stall holder received fatal injury in struggle to regain watch