Killings in Newham up by 66%
- Credit: Met Police
The number of killings in the borough has risen by 66per cent in the last, latest crime figures show.
According to the Office for National Statistics’ police recorded crime data there was a total of 10 murders or manslaughters between July 2017 and June 2018.
This is up from six incidents over the previous 12 months.
Across England and Wales, the number of recorded killings rose by 14pc.
Gun and knife possession offences in Newham rose by 79 to 386 incidents, theft increased by 12pc and drugs related offences is up 30pc.
You may also want to watch:
There were 1,622 residential burglaries reported in Newham but due to a change in how the ONS categorises burglaries, the localised figures cannot be compared with other years.
Overall, recorded crime in Newham increased by 8pc between July 2017 and June 2018.
- 1 Westfield evacuated after fire at centre in Stratford
- 2 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 3 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 4 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 5 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 6 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 7 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 8 Update: Girl, 14, missing from East Ham found
- 9 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 10 Man in critical condition after triple shooting in Newham
That means there is a crime for at least one in every 10 residents in Newham - above average for England and Wales.