Killings in Newham up by 66%
- Credit: Met Police
The number of killings in the borough has risen by 66per cent in the last, latest crime figures show.
According to the Office for National Statistics’ police recorded crime data there was a total of 10 murders or manslaughters between July 2017 and June 2018.
This is up from six incidents over the previous 12 months.
Across England and Wales, the number of recorded killings rose by 14pc.
Gun and knife possession offences in Newham rose by 79 to 386 incidents, theft increased by 12pc and drugs related offences is up 30pc.
You may also want to watch:
There were 1,622 residential burglaries reported in Newham but due to a change in how the ONS categorises burglaries, the localised figures cannot be compared with other years.
Overall, recorded crime in Newham increased by 8pc between July 2017 and June 2018.
- 1 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 2 Footage shows crowd piling onto train at Canning Town station
- 3 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 4 Newham's Covid-19 case rate 'huge' but there is 'light at end of the tunnel'
- 5 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 6 NHS Nightingale London opens to patients without Covid-19
- 7 Volunteers out to bust Covid jab myths and false conspiracy theories
- 8 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 9 NHS 'concerned' about Covid vaccine uptake in Newham
- 10 Serial fraudster who set up fake real estate company jailed for six years
That means there is a crime for at least one in every 10 residents in Newham - above average for England and Wales.