Judge throws out bid to get Newham Mayor Sir Robin Wales and council in court
A political party failed in a bid to get Newham Council and Mayor Sir Robin Wales into court today over a claim of alleged harassment while its members distributed campaign leaflets.
District Judge Greenfield dismissed the Communities United Party’s bid for a hearing at Stratford Magistrates’ Court.
The Communities United Party, in Romford Road, Forest Gate, claim the council’s efforts to stop them from leafleting outside Stratford Station was a concerted campaign against them.
Party leader and GLA candidate Kamran Malik received three �150 fixed environment notices for handing out leaflets outside the station by council enforcement officers.
Mr Malik, prosecuting, with barrister Mbeko Sihwi, made an application to summon the council to Stratford Magistrates Court on charges of section 2 harassment.
The application named Sir Robin Wales and the London Borough of Newham.
They allege the magistrates’ court failed to respond in two months and they subsequently won an order from the High Court forcing the court to respond in 14 days.
- 1 Two 'child abduction' arrests after three-year-old girl reported missing
- 2 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 3 E-fit released after woman sexually assaulted in Newham
- 4 Manor Park house fire leaves adults and child in hospital
- 5 Have you seen Lisa, 47, who is missing from Forest Gate?
- 6 Architects chosen to lead 1,750 home Canning Town masterplan design
- 7 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 8 London City Airport bid to ease Saturday flight ban sparks anger
- 9 Revealed: Cause of Plaistow tower block fire which left 5 men in hospital
- 10 Latest data shows Covid admissions rising again at east London hospitals
A morning hearing was adjourned until the afternoon to allow the council’s legal representative to be present.
District Judge Greenfield said: “I am not convinced that the Communities United Party has the legal standing to prosecute this case.
“It is for this reason I am not minded to grant this summons today.
“I also decline the application for a further adjournment.”