Judge throws out bid to get Newham Mayor Sir Robin Wales and council in court
A political party failed in a bid to get Newham Council and Mayor Sir Robin Wales into court today over a claim of alleged harassment while its members distributed campaign leaflets.
District Judge Greenfield dismissed the Communities United Party’s bid for a hearing at Stratford Magistrates’ Court.
The Communities United Party, in Romford Road, Forest Gate, claim the council’s efforts to stop them from leafleting outside Stratford Station was a concerted campaign against them.
Party leader and GLA candidate Kamran Malik received three �150 fixed environment notices for handing out leaflets outside the station by council enforcement officers.
Mr Malik, prosecuting, with barrister Mbeko Sihwi, made an application to summon the council to Stratford Magistrates Court on charges of section 2 harassment.
You may also want to watch:
The application named Sir Robin Wales and the London Borough of Newham.
They allege the magistrates’ court failed to respond in two months and they subsequently won an order from the High Court forcing the court to respond in 14 days.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 3 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 4 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 5 Average house price in Newham slides again after record February
- 6 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 7 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 8 Plaistow woman shaves her head for charities
- 9 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 10 Chief nurse of England praises Newham specialist school nurses
A morning hearing was adjourned until the afternoon to allow the council’s legal representative to be present.
District Judge Greenfield said: “I am not convinced that the Communities United Party has the legal standing to prosecute this case.
“It is for this reason I am not minded to grant this summons today.
“I also decline the application for a further adjournment.”