Joint operation cuts robberies by half around Stratford and West Ham area
A partnership between the police, Newham Council and the community has helped slash incidents of robbery around West Ham Recreation Ground by half.
The initiative was launched in response to a rise in the number of robberies reported in the vicinity of West Ham Lane and Densham Road over the summer months.
This was followed by a consultation between members of the community and the newly formed Neighbourhood Policing Team which operates from Stratford Police Station and resulted in Operation Excelsior.
It was led by Detective Superintendent Helen Millichap and included high visibility patrols as well as CCTV and lighting improvements and the removal of unnecessary foliage.
Her team identified a number of key people believed to be active participants in the increase in robbery offences. They have been targeted through intelligence led policing, and a large number have either been arrested or served with ASBOs.
You may also want to watch:
The result was a drop of 50 per cent in robbery for the Stratford and west Ham area with support and assistance from the community, Newham Police and Newham Council. The operation will continue with the aim of reducing offending even further.
Detective Superintendent Millichap said “I am pleased with the significant crime reduction that has so far been achieved by collaborative working based on local concerns. This work will continue. We want the local community in this area to feel confident that police will respond to the problems they raise, which is why we wanted to share this good news.
- 1 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
- 2 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 3 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 4 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 5 New partnership to provide scholarships for Newham law students
- 6 NHS Nightingale London's jabs hub opens as Covid-19 vaccinations ramp up
- 7 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 8 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 9 NHS 'concerned' about Covid vaccine uptake in Newham
- 10 David Moyes does not want to be hammered for another striking mistake
“The local community plays a vital part in helping police prioritise and focus their activities through contact with their neighbourhood teams. You can contact your local Neighbourhood Policing Team by calling the non-emergency 101 phone number, or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 if you have information about crime in your area”