Jailed: Plaistow man who drove at police
A man has been jailed for deliberately driving his car at three police officers.
Homeless Mayroof Ahmed had been driving his BMW along Newham Way in Custom House on March 2 when he was involved in a collision with another vehicle.
Both cars pulled over in Garvary Road and an argument broke out.
Inner London Crown Court heard last week the second driver, fearing for his safety, fled the scene, leaving Ahmed free to search his abandoned car and steal his sat-nav.
He then got back into his BMW and drove away. But police were and officers tracked him down to nearby Elkington Road, Plaistow.
They tried to stop him but Ahmed drove into their marked police car, injuring the two officers inside.
A passing police van responded and Ahmed drove at speed into the second police vehicle.
- 1 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 2 Beckton children’s hospice given £5k to replace stolen garden equipment
- 3 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 4 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 5 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 6 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 7 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
- 8 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 9 Trust seeks extension to fire safety order after £35m hospital work delay
- 10 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
The police driver was also injured and suffered leg and back injuries.
Ahmed admitted a series of charges, including dangerous driving, criminal damage, resisting arrest and assault and was jailed for two years and four months.