Jailed: Plaistow man who drove at police
A man has been jailed for deliberately driving his car at three police officers.
Homeless Mayroof Ahmed had been driving his BMW along Newham Way in Custom House on March 2 when he was involved in a collision with another vehicle.
Both cars pulled over in Garvary Road and an argument broke out.
Inner London Crown Court heard last week the second driver, fearing for his safety, fled the scene, leaving Ahmed free to search his abandoned car and steal his sat-nav.
He then got back into his BMW and drove away. But police were and officers tracked him down to nearby Elkington Road, Plaistow.
You may also want to watch:
They tried to stop him but Ahmed drove into their marked police car, injuring the two officers inside.
A passing police van responded and Ahmed drove at speed into the second police vehicle.
- 1 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 2 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 3 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 4 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 5 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
- 6 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 7 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 8 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 9 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 10 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
The police driver was also injured and suffered leg and back injuries.
Ahmed admitted a series of charges, including dangerous driving, criminal damage, resisting arrest and assault and was jailed for two years and four months.