Jailed: Life sentence for East Ham knifeman who murdered rival in ‘disrespect feud’
- Credit: Archant
An East Ham man has been jailed for life today for murdering a 34-year-old and stabbing a second person in a ‘disrespect’ feud.
Keith Nelson, 51, of Mountsfield Road, stabbed to death Alfred Purcell in White Horse Road, and knifed his friend after they clashed on June 26 last year.
The Old Bailey heard Alfred had previously accused Nelson of disrespecting his friend so the pair had bad feelings between them.
Both had been drinking in the area of Central Park when a row broke out and Nelson went home and returned with two knives.
The victims were in White Horse Road at the junction of Gresham Road, when Nelson ran at Alfred and stabbed him in the chest.
The second man was also injured in the knife attack.
Nelson was arrested two days later and charged on June 30.
- 1 Truck towing stolen Rolls Royce SUV crashes before dramatic foot chase
- 2 Fares Maatou was 'murdered with stolen sword', court hears
- 3 Manor Park blaze caused by the 'accidental ignition of textiles'
- 4 Woman injured after being hit by electric scooter in East Ham
- 5 Moosakhan Nasiri: Man charged with Plashet Park murder
- 6 Man denies charges after drugs raids as east London duo await trial
- 7 Drone images of Newham tower block blaze
- 8 Homes under the Planner: Applications lodged and approved in Newham
- 9 How many Covid patients are in hospital in east London this week?
- 10 Manor Park blaze: 100 firefighters get tower block fire under control
He had previously pleaded guilty to maliciously wounding the second man but had denied murdering Alfred.
Today he was given a life sentence with a minimum tariff of 23 years.
Det Insp Domenica Catino, investigating officer, said: “Nelson, incensed after the dispute with Alfred, picked up two knives knowing full well the fatal consequences that could result.
“He did not hesitate to use extreme violence. Sadly, Alfred lost his life and a second victim suffered injury as a result of his action. Nelson is a dangerous man who now faces a long spell behind bars.”