Jailed: Forest Gate killer who bludgeoned victim with baseball bat

Emdadul Islam. Picture: Met Police

Emdadul Islam. Picture: Met Police - Credit: Met Police

A man who beat his victim to death with a baseball bat during a mass brawl in Upton Park has been jailed for 14 years.


Emdadul Islam, 23, struck 31-year-old Titu Miah over the head after violence broke out in Plashet Road on October 17.

A teenage boy was run down and stabbed repeatedly just moments earlier, the Old Bailey heard.

CCTV footage captured Titu and his stepson Patel chasing down and attacking the 16-year-old boy.

Patel, 21, knifed him multiple times in his left leg and chest, with Miah assaulting him after he lay helpless.

Meanwhile Islam, who was getting his hair cut in a nearby barbers shop, grabbed a baseball bat from his car boot and attacked Miah from behind, fracturing his skull. He then hit him again after he fell to the ground.

Islam then drove away from the scene but returned to the barbers a short time later — while police and medics tended to the boy.

Most Read

Miah, from Plaistow, died from his injuries in hospital five days later.

“Losing my husband has left me in a place where I am barely coping,” said his widow, Shabina Patel.

“I am heavily depressed and am still struggling to sleep and eat since it happened.”

The teenager stabbing victim, who Scotland Yard said left hospital with no “serious, long-lasting injuries”, was arrested on suspicion of violent disorder. He would later be released with no further action, along with four males arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm.

Islam, of Fowler Road, Forest Gate, was found guilty of manslaughter on Wednesday, April 25.

He had previously pleaded guilty to possessing an offensive weapon and received a concurrent sentence of two years.

Patel, of Queen’s Road West, Plaistow, denied grievous bodily harm with intent, and possessing an offensive weapon in relation to the stabbing, but pleaded guilty on the first day of his trial.

He will be sentenced on Thursday.

“This was a despicable show of violence in broad daylight on a residential street which resulted in a man dead and a young victim stabbed, and two people now facing long jail terms for their part in this incident,” said Det Sgt Perry Benton, who led the investigation.

The motive for stabbing the teenager, he added, was “unclear”, though officers think it relates to a “disagreement” between Patel and one of the victim’s relatives.