Jailed for pub landlord attack
A FATHER-OF-TWO who attacked a pub �landlord after being refused his 31st drink to celebrate his birthday was jailed for 16 months.
Patrick McDonagh, 26, of Valerian Way, Stratford, had already downed 30 bottles of Carlsberg but needed credit to buy some more at the Ordnance Arms in Canning Town.
When John Forbes refused, the pub regular hurled two bottles at him, smashing his glasses and �cutting his forehead.
McDonagh evaded arrest for another two months and then twice failed to appear at court before admitting assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
He pleaded to be spared jail because his wife was eight months pregnant. But the Common Serjeant of �London, Judge Brian Barker, sent him to prison for his “disgraceful behaviour”.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “You had clearly drunk too much, you were verbally abusive and you lost your temper.
“On his refusal to give you credit you threw a full bottle at his head.
- 1 Jailed: Drug dealer who crashed into cab leaving passengers critically injured
- 2 Detectives release images after robbery in East Ham
- 3 'Severe maladministration' by Newham Council in housing complaint handling
- 4 Jailed: Manor Park man guilty of drug offences, but not machete murder
- 5 Man in hospital after fire at disused Forest Gate church
- 6 Blades, £25k and Class A drugs seized by police after car stop in Plaistow
- 7 £3m centre to reduce young adult reoffending to be set up in Stratford
- 8 Police investigate burglary and injury at 'cannabis' house
- 9 World Book Day: Notorious football fan 'Mr West Ham' sets record straight
- 10 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff feels he knows already what makes the squad tick
“I have given this anxious �consideration but you know perfectly well you face a prison sentence.
“You launched two bottles at his head. There is absolutely no excuse for that. Custody is inevitable.”
The Old Bailey heard �McDonagh had been drinking at the pub on November 7, 2009, to celebrate his 25th birthday the previous day.
Mr Forbes had to have treatment at hospital to glue a cut on his �forehead.
McDonagh, whose children are aged five and 18 months, has a �previous conviction for assaulting a police officer.
His barrister David Brock said: “He was celebrating his birthday. He had drunk quite excessively, 30 bottles of Carlsberg.”