Jailed for pub landlord attack
A FATHER-OF-TWO who attacked a pub �landlord after being refused his 31st drink to celebrate his birthday was jailed for 16 months.
Patrick McDonagh, 26, of Valerian Way, Stratford, had already downed 30 bottles of Carlsberg but needed credit to buy some more at the Ordnance Arms in Canning Town.
When John Forbes refused, the pub regular hurled two bottles at him, smashing his glasses and �cutting his forehead.
McDonagh evaded arrest for another two months and then twice failed to appear at court before admitting assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
He pleaded to be spared jail because his wife was eight months pregnant. But the Common Serjeant of �London, Judge Brian Barker, sent him to prison for his “disgraceful behaviour”.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “You had clearly drunk too much, you were verbally abusive and you lost your temper.
“On his refusal to give you credit you threw a full bottle at his head.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 3 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 4 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 5 Average house price in Newham slides again after record February
- 6 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 7 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 8 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 9 Plaistow woman shaves her head for charities
- 10 Chief nurse of England praises Newham specialist school nurses
“I have given this anxious �consideration but you know perfectly well you face a prison sentence.
“You launched two bottles at his head. There is absolutely no excuse for that. Custody is inevitable.”
The Old Bailey heard �McDonagh had been drinking at the pub on November 7, 2009, to celebrate his 25th birthday the previous day.
Mr Forbes had to have treatment at hospital to glue a cut on his �forehead.
McDonagh, whose children are aged five and 18 months, has a �previous conviction for assaulting a police officer.
His barrister David Brock said: “He was celebrating his birthday. He had drunk quite excessively, 30 bottles of Carlsberg.”