Jailed: Essex man for role in Forest Gate ‘drive-by shooting’ scare

Peter Brown. Picture: Met Police

Peter Brown. Picture: Met Police - Credit: Met Police

A man who took part in a simulated drive-by shooting using fake pistols opposite a playground in Forest Gate has been jailed for more than a decade.


Young men ran in terror during Peter Brown’s gun scare in Wellington Road.

The 29-year-old was sentenced to 10 years and nine months in prison on Friday after pleading guilty to possessing an imitation firearm with intent to cause fear or violence.

Snaresbrook Crown Court heard how at 7pm on Friday, August 25, CCTV captured a car pulling up in the street and two handguns being aimed at youths from the open back doors.

As the youths fled, the vehicle drove off, stopping moments later for the guns to be brandished again.

Detectives from the Met’s Trident and Area Crime Command launched an immediate investigation after an onlooker alerted police.

Brown, of Hope Street, Stanford-le-Hope, was identified as the driver of the car.

Most Read

He was arrested at his home on Sunday, September 2 and charged the next day.

“Although nobody was injured, brandishing a pistol at people causing them to fear they will be shot is a despicable act,” said Det Rob Jones of Trident.

“This offence took place opposite a children’s playground on a warm summers evening. Those who were threatened can be seen on CCTV running for their lives.

“Incidents like this cause fear in communities and are traumatic for all those who witness it.

“Detectives at Trident were determined to find who was responsible and Brown was quickly arrested. Thanks to the evidence gathered he had no option but to plead guilty.

“Possession of firearms, be they imitation or not, will not be taken lightly and punished accordingly by the courts.”

Brown was also sentenced for an unrelated matter of fraud by misrepresentation where he and a co-defendant distracted two elderly women at cash points and stole their cards when the women went into the bank thinking the machine had taken them.

£1,400 in cash was withdrawn.

He was sentenced to three months for each offence to run concurrently.