Jail for loan shark caught after East Ham raid
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
A loan shark who received £325,000 in repayments has been jailed for four months.
Sijo Mannamcheril Sebastian was sentenced on Friday having previously pleaded guilty to two counts of illegal money lending between July 1, 2009 and April 19, 2016.
Southend Crown Court heard how warrants were executed at Sebastian’s home address in Raphaels, Basildon, and his business premises in High Street North, East Ham, in April 2016.
The latter saw a computer recovered which contained a number of documents which illustrated aspects of the 39-year-old’s illegal enterprise.
The court heard how Sebastian was charging an APR of up to 67 per cent on loans, and had made £950 profit on a £2,500 loan.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Forhad Hussain, cabinet member for crime and anti-social behaviour, said: “We welcome this conviction, which sends out a clear message that criminal loan sharks will not be tolerated in this borough.”
- 1 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 2 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 3 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 4 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 5 Housing campaigners to stage protest in Canning Town over empty homes
- 6 Operose: Addressing 'understandable' concerns over GP takeover
- 7 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 8 Arsenal's game in hand with West Ham set for April 28
- 9 Newcastle's late Willock winner hits West Ham hopes
- 10 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home