Jail for attempted robber who followed victim on DLR
- Credit: Archant
A “persistent” attempted robber who followed his victim from West Ham station in a bid to steal a necklace has been jailed for 10 months.
Blackfriars Crown Court heard how Anthony Palmer, 22, boarded a DLR train to Woolwich Arsenal on October 28 last year and followed the 27-year-old man off.
As he was passing through the ticket barrier at around 10.15am, Palmer grabbed the chain around the man’s neck and pulled it with such force it snapped.
The man managed to keep hold of the chain and ran from the station, but Palmer, of Montrose Avenue, Welling, followed him.
He was arrested a short distance from the station.
You may also want to watch:
Supt Chris Horton said: “This was a calculated attempt to rob a rail passenger at a busy station.
“The persistence of Palmer, and the fact he pursued his victim, left the man very shaken.”
- 1 Second jabs hub opening at Westfield as ExCeL London vaccination centre soon to close
- 2 Feminism, corner shops and bricks: Here's what's happening in Newham Heritage Month
- 3 Newham foster carers on 'most rewarding and uplifting experience'
- 4 Ex-student who got MIT scholarship sets up tutor business to help others
- 5 'Council houses now': Protesters stage action over empty homes
- 6 Call The Midwife stars meet Bonny Downs staff and families
- 7 Leyton Orient still not at the level top sides are says boss Jobi McAnuff
- 8 WSL: West Ham 0 Aston Villa 0
- 9 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 10 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
Palmer was jailed for 10 months on Wednesday, March 25 after admitting attempted robbery.