Jail for attempted robber who followed victim on DLR
- Credit: Archant
A “persistent” attempted robber who followed his victim from West Ham station in a bid to steal a necklace has been jailed for 10 months.
Blackfriars Crown Court heard how Anthony Palmer, 22, boarded a DLR train to Woolwich Arsenal on October 28 last year and followed the 27-year-old man off.
As he was passing through the ticket barrier at around 10.15am, Palmer grabbed the chain around the man’s neck and pulled it with such force it snapped.
The man managed to keep hold of the chain and ran from the station, but Palmer, of Montrose Avenue, Welling, followed him.
He was arrested a short distance from the station.
Supt Chris Horton said: “This was a calculated attempt to rob a rail passenger at a busy station.
“The persistence of Palmer, and the fact he pursued his victim, left the man very shaken.”
- 1 Guilty: Man murdered woman at bus stop and tried to kill another a day later
- 2 Man charged with Beckton murder as victim named
- 3 Maryland machete murderer found guilty - as police hunt second attacker
- 4 3 arrests after death of man found unresponsive in Beckton
- 5 Jailed: Forest Gate serial arsonist who started more than two dozen fires
- 6 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 7 Revealed: Cause of terraced houses blaze in East Ham
- 8 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 9 Have you seen Lisa, 47, who is missing from Forest Gate?
- 10 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
Palmer was jailed for 10 months on Wednesday, March 25 after admitting attempted robbery.