Jail for attempted robber who followed victim on DLR
- Credit: Archant
A “persistent” attempted robber who followed his victim from West Ham station in a bid to steal a necklace has been jailed for 10 months.
Blackfriars Crown Court heard how Anthony Palmer, 22, boarded a DLR train to Woolwich Arsenal on October 28 last year and followed the 27-year-old man off.
As he was passing through the ticket barrier at around 10.15am, Palmer grabbed the chain around the man’s neck and pulled it with such force it snapped.
The man managed to keep hold of the chain and ran from the station, but Palmer, of Montrose Avenue, Welling, followed him.
He was arrested a short distance from the station.
You may also want to watch:
Supt Chris Horton said: “This was a calculated attempt to rob a rail passenger at a busy station.
“The persistence of Palmer, and the fact he pursued his victim, left the man very shaken.”
- 1 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 2 West Ham 1 Burnley 0: How the Hammers rated
- 3 Letters: CCTV facial recognition, Covid and tenants' manifesto
- 4 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 5 Newham's Covid-19 case rate 'huge' but there is 'light at end of the tunnel'
- 6 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 7 Tottenham take Super League spoils at West Ham
- 8 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 9 NHS Nightingale London opens to patients without Covid-19
- 10 NHS Nightingale London's jabs hub opens as Covid-19 vaccinations ramp up
Palmer was jailed for 10 months on Wednesday, March 25 after admitting attempted robbery.