Inquest starts today into Canning Town baby who died aged just 23 days
- Credit: Archant
A mother from Canning Town is hoping an inquest which starts today will provide vital answers as to why her son died aged just 23-days-old.
Caliel Smith-Kwami spent several days in the Royal London Hospital’s intensive care unit after suffering low blood sugar levels before he was discharged on August 2 last year.
But tragically he passed away after suffering a cardiac arrest 15 days later – on the day his mother Sabreena had registered his birth.
An inquest is due to take place at Walthamstow Coroner’s Court today and is expected to last three days.
Sabreena said: “Caliel was and still is everything to me and there’s not a day that goes by where I don’t think about him. I still can’t believe he was taken away from me so soon after his birth.
You may also want to watch:
“Although it is going to be heartbreaking having to listen to the evidence as to why my son died I need to know if more could have been done to save his life.
“If the hearing identifies any failings in Caliel’s care it’s imperative the hospital trust learns lessons so no other parents have to go through the pain I live with daily since Caliel’s death.”
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 3 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 4 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 5 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 6 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 7 Primary school recognised for supporting pupils' mental wellbeing
- 8 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 9 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 10 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
Following her son’s death Sabreena instructed expert medical negligence lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate how he died.
Jasicca Nava, who is representing the 26-year-old, said: “Caliel’s death has had a profound effect on Sabreena and all the family who are all still struggling to come to terms with his death.
“The family is now hoping that the inquest will provide them with vital answers regarding Caliel’s death.”