Inquest starts today into Canning Town baby who died aged just 23 days
- Credit: Archant
A mother from Canning Town is hoping an inquest which starts today will provide vital answers as to why her son died aged just 23-days-old.
Caliel Smith-Kwami spent several days in the Royal London Hospital’s intensive care unit after suffering low blood sugar levels before he was discharged on August 2 last year.
But tragically he passed away after suffering a cardiac arrest 15 days later – on the day his mother Sabreena had registered his birth.
An inquest is due to take place at Walthamstow Coroner’s Court today and is expected to last three days.
Sabreena said: “Caliel was and still is everything to me and there’s not a day that goes by where I don’t think about him. I still can’t believe he was taken away from me so soon after his birth.
“Although it is going to be heartbreaking having to listen to the evidence as to why my son died I need to know if more could have been done to save his life.
“If the hearing identifies any failings in Caliel’s care it’s imperative the hospital trust learns lessons so no other parents have to go through the pain I live with daily since Caliel’s death.”
- 1 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 2 Motorcyclist, 19, died in hospital after A13 crash near Beckton flyover
- 3 Start date revealed for next Bishop of Barking after consecration
- 4 100 people leave Stratford block of flats after fire breaks out
- 5 Newport's Norman sends Leyton Orient to late defeat
- 6 Have your say on the proposed east London constituency boundary changes
- 7 Get involved in London's first Great Mental Health Day
- 8 Platinum Jubilee: Send us your stories and pictures with the Queen
- 9 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 10 Beckton children’s hospice given £5k to replace stolen garden equipment
Following her son’s death Sabreena instructed expert medical negligence lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate how he died.
Jasicca Nava, who is representing the 26-year-old, said: “Caliel’s death has had a profound effect on Sabreena and all the family who are all still struggling to come to terms with his death.
“The family is now hoping that the inquest will provide them with vital answers regarding Caliel’s death.”