Imam sexually abused two young girls in Newham
- Credit: Metropolitan Police
An Imam has been found guilty of sexually abusing two young girls in Newham.
Hafiz Azizur Rehman Pirzada, 76, from Northolt, west London, was convicted of 10 sexual abuse offences at Snaresbrook Crown Court yesterday.
The court heard the historical abuse took place at an address in the borough and he was arrested in July 2016 after his victims reported him to the police.
He was bailed and subsequently charged on March this year with eight counts of sexual assault with a female under 13, and two counts of causing a child to engage in sexual activity.
Detective Sergeant Tony Killeen from the child abuse and sexual offences team said: “This is a case stemming back years, but despite the length of time since the incidents Pirzada has been convicted of his crimes.
You may also want to watch:
“The victims have shown a great degree of courage, persistence and determination in securing the conviction, having persevered with the allegation and supporting the police investigation.”
He will be sentenced on November 19.
- 1 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 2 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 3 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 4 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 5 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 6 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 7 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 8 Canning town bus station reopens after falling glass injures man
- 9 Brilliant moment for Okoflex as he nets in West Ham's win at Celtic
- 10 Fire Brigade deluged with calls for help as floods sweep east London