Imam sexually abused two young girls in Newham
- Credit: Metropolitan Police
An Imam has been found guilty of sexually abusing two young girls in Newham.
Hafiz Azizur Rehman Pirzada, 76, from Northolt, west London, was convicted of 10 sexual abuse offences at Snaresbrook Crown Court yesterday.
The court heard the historical abuse took place at an address in the borough and he was arrested in July 2016 after his victims reported him to the police.
He was bailed and subsequently charged on March this year with eight counts of sexual assault with a female under 13, and two counts of causing a child to engage in sexual activity.
Detective Sergeant Tony Killeen from the child abuse and sexual offences team said: “This is a case stemming back years, but despite the length of time since the incidents Pirzada has been convicted of his crimes.
You may also want to watch:
“The victims have shown a great degree of courage, persistence and determination in securing the conviction, having persevered with the allegation and supporting the police investigation.”
He will be sentenced on November 19.
- 1 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 6 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 7 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 8 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 9 241-home development at Royal Albert Wharf marks 12-storey milestone
- 10 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber