Imam sexually abused two young girls in Newham
- Credit: Metropolitan Police
An Imam has been found guilty of sexually abusing two young girls in Newham.
Hafiz Azizur Rehman Pirzada, 76, from Northolt, west London, was convicted of 10 sexual abuse offences at Snaresbrook Crown Court yesterday.
The court heard the historical abuse took place at an address in the borough and he was arrested in July 2016 after his victims reported him to the police.
He was bailed and subsequently charged on March this year with eight counts of sexual assault with a female under 13, and two counts of causing a child to engage in sexual activity.
Detective Sergeant Tony Killeen from the child abuse and sexual offences team said: “This is a case stemming back years, but despite the length of time since the incidents Pirzada has been convicted of his crimes.
You may also want to watch:
“The victims have shown a great degree of courage, persistence and determination in securing the conviction, having persevered with the allegation and supporting the police investigation.”
He will be sentenced on November 19.
- 1 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 2 Ex-student who got MIT scholarship sets up tutor business to help others
- 3 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 4 'Council houses now': Protesters stage action over empty homes
- 5 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 6 Website helps disadvantaged youth understand job roles to raise aspirations
- 7 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 8 Operose: Addressing 'understandable' concerns over GP takeover
- 9 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
- 10 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home