Husband from West Ham sentenced after assaulting wife on Christmas Day
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
A mum-of-two spent Christmas evening in hospital after she was badly beaten by her drunken cleaner husband.
Adrian Payawal was given a 12-month community order after pleading guilty to assault by beating at Thames Magistrates’ Court yesterday (Thurs).
The 34-year-old, of Jack Close Road, West Ham, punched and kicked Lanie Calimlim at their home in Harold Road after getting drunk on Christmas Day. She suffered a black eye, swollen forehead, and bruising to her arms.
The couple, who have been together for nine years and have two children, went out for the evening before Payawal returned drunk and fell asleep on the sofa.
Prosecutors said Payawal was woken by his wife who told him to go upstairs. She woke him a second time to remind him to get dressed for bed which is when he lost his temper and assaulted her.
During a police interview, Payawal said he did not remember the incident and admitted to “often getting drunk” but denied he was an alcoholic.
Asked whether he regretted his actions, he said he was “very sorry about what happened” and spoke of missing his children.
- 1 60 firefighters deal with Plaistow tower block fire
- 2 Revealed: Cause of terraced houses blaze in East Ham
- 3 East Ham fire: Terraced houses damaged by blaze as woman treated at scene
- 4 Fares Maatou was 'murdered with stolen sword', court hears
- 5 Truck towing stolen Rolls Royce SUV crashes before dramatic foot chase
- 6 Three Met officers receive written warning over photos of murdered sisters
- 7 Series of failures sees Met Police placed under special measures
- 8 Moosakhan Nasiri: Man charged with Plashet Park murder
- 9 Drone images of Newham tower block blaze
- 10 Old Bailey courts closed as barrister strike action gets under way
In concluding the hearing, the chairman of the bench said: “What you did was horrible. It is not something any man should be considering and you should be embarrassed.”