Husband from West Ham sentenced after assaulting wife on Christmas Day
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
A mum-of-two spent Christmas evening in hospital after she was badly beaten by her drunken cleaner husband.
Adrian Payawal was given a 12-month community order after pleading guilty to assault by beating at Thames Magistrates’ Court yesterday (Thurs).
The 34-year-old, of Jack Close Road, West Ham, punched and kicked Lanie Calimlim at their home in Harold Road after getting drunk on Christmas Day. She suffered a black eye, swollen forehead, and bruising to her arms.
The couple, who have been together for nine years and have two children, went out for the evening before Payawal returned drunk and fell asleep on the sofa.
Prosecutors said Payawal was woken by his wife who told him to go upstairs. She woke him a second time to remind him to get dressed for bed which is when he lost his temper and assaulted her.
You may also want to watch:
During a police interview, Payawal said he did not remember the incident and admitted to “often getting drunk” but denied he was an alcoholic.
Asked whether he regretted his actions, he said he was “very sorry about what happened” and spoke of missing his children.
- 1 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 2 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 3 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 'We haven't waited to act': Newham primary schools extend days to help pupils catch up after pandemic
- 6 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Parks in Newham triumph with Green Flag awards
- 9 What's on across east London this weekend?
- 10 Newham nursery schools praised for inclusion work
In concluding the hearing, the chairman of the bench said: “What you did was horrible. It is not something any man should be considering and you should be embarrassed.”