Gang caught on CCTV jailed after hold-ups in Manor Park and Whitechapel
- Credit: MPS
Four men who snatched £340,000 in two violent hold-ups in east London have been jailed for a total of more than 30 years.
They tailed the manager of a money transfer shop for six miles as he drive home to Manor Park from Whitechapel where they attacked him.
The gang stopped his car in Snowshill Road outside his house and grabbed his keys before snatching a money bag with £300,000 from his car boot.
But they were caught on a security camera outside a bank in Whitechapel during a second raid months later targeting the same business when an employee was robbed of £30,000.
Police matched up the footage with earlier CCTV showing two Mini cars watching the shop when the manager was tailed.
It led to Flying Squad detectives identifying the gang which had carried out both heists in just 10 months, in 2011 and 2012.
Det Sgt Holly Simon from the Met’s Flying Squad said after Friday’s sentencing at the Old Bailey: “This was a terrifying act by a very calculated group of men who used violence to steal from a small business.”
- 1 60 firefighters deal with Plaistow tower block fire
- 2 Revealed: Cause of Plaistow tower block fire which left 5 men in hospital
- 3 Revealed: Cause of terraced houses blaze in East Ham
- 4 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 5 East Ham fire: Terraced houses damaged by blaze as woman treated at scene
- 6 Moncur 'overwhelmed' to join Leyton Orient
- 7 Fares Maatou was 'murdered with stolen sword', court hears
- 8 Truck towing stolen Rolls Royce SUV crashes before dramatic foot chase
- 9 Series of failures sees Met Police placed under special measures
- 10 Moosakhan Nasiri: Man charged with Plashet Park murder
Akhbar Hussain, 40, from Mile End, was jailed for six years. Shetu Meah, 31, also from Mile End, got 12 years. Abdion Hassan, 23, from Walthamstow, was sentenced to nine years. Vinton Meade, 29, from Clapton, who admitted his part in one of the robberies, got five years.