Fundraising banner ‘stolen’ from Plaistow elderly care centre
Volunteers claim heartless thieves stole a banner advertising a fundraising event for an elderly day care centre at the weekend.
The sign hung outside the Community Resource Centre on Chargeable Lane, Plaistow, inviting people to come to a food sale on April 6 and bring unwanted items to raise money to fund activities for older people and maintain the centre.
But fundraisers said the banner, which cost around £50 to be printed, had disappeared on Sunday morning and they suspect it was taken during the night.
Jill Evans, who works in Customer Services for Newham Council, said: “I go round there myself sometimes and help set up tables to raise a bit of money for them and give them support.
“They have food there and ask people to bring along unwanted items for them to sell and all the money goes towards keeping the place going.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s just so sad and I feel so sorry for them because most people run these events voluntarily.
“I mean, how low can you stoop?”
- 1 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 2 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 3 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 4 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 5 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 6 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 7 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 School's out!: Newham puts on jam-packed summer holiday activities programme
- 9 Tributes to Pearly King of Newham who has died aged 79
- 10 Deadline looming to comment on proposed constituency changes
If anyone knows where the banner is or who may have stolen it, call Newham police on non-emergency number 101.