Fundraising banner ‘stolen’ from Plaistow elderly care centre
Volunteers claim heartless thieves stole a banner advertising a fundraising event for an elderly day care centre at the weekend.
The sign hung outside the Community Resource Centre on Chargeable Lane, Plaistow, inviting people to come to a food sale on April 6 and bring unwanted items to raise money to fund activities for older people and maintain the centre.
But fundraisers said the banner, which cost around £50 to be printed, had disappeared on Sunday morning and they suspect it was taken during the night.
Jill Evans, who works in Customer Services for Newham Council, said: “I go round there myself sometimes and help set up tables to raise a bit of money for them and give them support.
“They have food there and ask people to bring along unwanted items for them to sell and all the money goes towards keeping the place going.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s just so sad and I feel so sorry for them because most people run these events voluntarily.
“I mean, how low can you stoop?”
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 'Clearly insufficient' - Canning Town teacher in charge of foodbank talks free school meal hampers
- 3 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 4 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 5 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 6 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 7 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
- 8 Flower arranging day brightens Manor Park care home
- 9 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 10 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
If anyone knows where the banner is or who may have stolen it, call Newham police on non-emergency number 101.