Fundraising banner ‘stolen’ from Plaistow elderly care centre
Volunteers claim heartless thieves stole a banner advertising a fundraising event for an elderly day care centre at the weekend.
The sign hung outside the Community Resource Centre on Chargeable Lane, Plaistow, inviting people to come to a food sale on April 6 and bring unwanted items to raise money to fund activities for older people and maintain the centre.
But fundraisers said the banner, which cost around £50 to be printed, had disappeared on Sunday morning and they suspect it was taken during the night.
Jill Evans, who works in Customer Services for Newham Council, said: “I go round there myself sometimes and help set up tables to raise a bit of money for them and give them support.
“They have food there and ask people to bring along unwanted items for them to sell and all the money goes towards keeping the place going.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s just so sad and I feel so sorry for them because most people run these events voluntarily.
“I mean, how low can you stoop?”
- 1 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 4 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 7 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 8 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 9 241-home development at Royal Albert Wharf marks 12-storey milestone
- 10 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
If anyone knows where the banner is or who may have stolen it, call Newham police on non-emergency number 101.