Fundraising banner ‘stolen’ from Plaistow elderly care centre
Volunteers claim heartless thieves stole a banner advertising a fundraising event for an elderly day care centre at the weekend.
The sign hung outside the Community Resource Centre on Chargeable Lane, Plaistow, inviting people to come to a food sale on April 6 and bring unwanted items to raise money to fund activities for older people and maintain the centre.
But fundraisers said the banner, which cost around £50 to be printed, had disappeared on Sunday morning and they suspect it was taken during the night.
Jill Evans, who works in Customer Services for Newham Council, said: “I go round there myself sometimes and help set up tables to raise a bit of money for them and give them support.
“They have food there and ask people to bring along unwanted items for them to sell and all the money goes towards keeping the place going.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s just so sad and I feel so sorry for them because most people run these events voluntarily.
“I mean, how low can you stoop?”
- 1 Tributes to 'hero' charity founder who dedicated life to Newham children
- 2 Former boxer compared feet with Prince Philip during visit to club
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
- 5 Officers donate Easter eggs to hospitals
- 6 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff full of praise for Cheltenham Town after loss
- 7 Mural sparks criticism after 'crime and murders' describe North Woolwich
- 8 Newham men who bought BMW M5 in £112,000 fraud sentenced
- 9 David Moyes salutes loyal Mark Noble ahead of his 400th West Ham match
- 10 Plans for industrial hub, shipyard and homes on Albert Island approved
If anyone knows where the banner is or who may have stolen it, call Newham police on non-emergency number 101.