Forest Gate vicars’ denial on sham marriages allegations
Two vicars have denied presiding over hundreds of sham marriages as part of ploy to help illegal immigrants stay in the UK.
Rev Brian Shipsides, 55, and Rev Elwon John, 50, pleaded not guilty to conspiring to facilitate breaches of immigration law between December 28, 2007 and August 4 last year.
The marriages are said to have taken place between EU and non-EU citizens who wished to gain right of address in Britain.
A third defendant, 31-year-old Amdudalat Ladipo, denies the same charge.
Ladipo earlier pleaded not guilty to a further allegation of possessing a false Nigerian passport in the name of Elizabeth Udeme Bernard on July 31 last year.
You may also want to watch:
Both vicars’ bail conditions prohibit them from visiting All Saints Church in Forest Gate where they are alleged to have organised about 200 bogus weddings.
They were suspended by the Church of England following their arrests last year, and are also banned from contacting their church’s governing body except through a solicitor.
- 1 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
- 2 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 3 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 4 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 5 New partnership to provide scholarships for Newham law students
- 6 NHS Nightingale London's jabs hub opens as Covid-19 vaccinations ramp up
- 7 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 8 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 9 NHS 'concerned' about Covid vaccine uptake in Newham
- 10 David Moyes does not want to be hammered for another striking mistake
All three are to stand trial, which is estimated to take six to seven weeks, before Inner London Crown Court on January 23 next year.
They will also attend court for a preliminary hearing on September 15.
Shipsides, of Claremont Road, Forest Gate; John, of Kennedy Road, Barking, and Ladipo, of Grosvenor Road, Dagenham, deny conspiring to facilitate breaches of immigration law.