Forest Gate thug jailed for racist abuse
A violent racist who called a hostel worker a “black bitch” after she reported him to police for smashing a glass window was jailed for five months.
Michael Foran, 40, had only just been released from an eight-year jail sentence for stabbing his own sister in a frenzied attack.
The recovering alcoholic was still the subject of a violent offenders order when he launched his tirade at Kike Oladele at Edward Gibbons House, in Parmiter Street, Bethnal Green, on February 2 this year.
Prosecutor Lee Ingham told the court: “The offences occurred at Edward Gibbons House a hostel for alcoholics where this defendant was either staying or visiting.
“He had been on the telephone and had become frustrated and angry by the conversation. He then went and kicked the panel of an internal glass door causing it to crack.
You may also want to watch:
“As a result the woman on the front desk (Kike Oladele) called the police.
“The police arrived and while they were in the process of handcuffing him he started shouting towards the woman.
- 1 Eight-year-old girl from Canning Town publishes book to help children with grief
- 2 Police investigate burglary and injury at 'cannabis' house
- 3 Traffic cameras installed to catch Newham drivers who ignore road signs
- 4 Foodbank offering lifeline to foreign students left destitute by pandemic
- 5 Man arrested after car smashes into house in Maryland
- 6 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 7 Newham Council is making a difference
- 8 East Ham barber disappointed by Covid-19 lockdown easing roadmap
- 9 Person found dead on tracks at Plaistow Underground station
- 10 Council accused of lacking empathy over Upton Centre homes plan
“He shouted “black bitch’’ and then spat at her twice, once hitting her on the thigh.”
Mr Ingham said Foran had told police in interview he had been “very drunk” at the time and was angry because his girlfriend has just told him she had reported him to police for another matter.
In his defence Rebecca Helliwell said Foran accepted full responsibility for his actions and had expressed a great deal of remorse.
She added Ms Oladele had not heard the racist abuse and it had been overheard by one of the officers.
Foran, of McCreadie Hotel, Romford Road, Forest Gate, was sentenced to five months for racially aggravated assault and seven days concurrent for criminal damage at Snaresbrook Crown Court.
The judge, Mr Recorder Mark Hill QC, said: “It is the case that this lady working at this hostel was abused by you verbally and racially and was spat at.”