Forest Gate shootout: Four men appear in court charged with attempted murders and weapons offences
- Credit: Archant
Four men have appeared in court charged with three attempted murders after a gun battle with armed officers in Forest Gate.
Nathaniel Lewis, 22, of Earlham Grove, Forest Gate; Darnell Joseph-Newill, 21, Willis Road, Plaistow; Troy Ifill, 21, of Torrens Square, Stratford, and 20-year-old Lekan Akinsoji, of no fixed address, are also accused of possessing an axe, shotgun and “zombie knife”, as well as possessing a shotgun with intent to endanger life.
Akinsoji and Lewis have also been charged with possessing a firearm following a suspended sentence.
All four appeared in Thames Magistrates’ Court on Monday in connection to the shootout, which saw gunshots exchanged during a car chase between police and a BMW just before midnight Thursday.
Scotland Yard said officers chased the vehicle for more than a mile from Waltham Forest to Bective Road, Forest Gate, after it “failed to stop for police”.
You may also want to watch:
The men have been remanded in custody to appear at the Old Bailey on August 24.
- 1 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
- 2 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 3 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 4 Fan's column: West Ham are in the mix to battle it out with the big boys
- 5 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 6 NHS Nightingale London's jabs hub opens as Covid-19 vaccinations ramp up
- 7 Mayor vows to continue Newham free school meals scheme
- 8 NHS 'concerned' about Covid vaccine uptake in Newham
- 9 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 10 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving