Forest Gate shootout: Four men appear in court charged with attempted murders and weapons offences
- Credit: Archant
Four men have appeared in court charged with three attempted murders after a gun battle with armed officers in Forest Gate.
Nathaniel Lewis, 22, of Earlham Grove, Forest Gate; Darnell Joseph-Newill, 21, Willis Road, Plaistow; Troy Ifill, 21, of Torrens Square, Stratford, and 20-year-old Lekan Akinsoji, of no fixed address, are also accused of possessing an axe, shotgun and “zombie knife”, as well as possessing a shotgun with intent to endanger life.
Akinsoji and Lewis have also been charged with possessing a firearm following a suspended sentence.
All four appeared in Thames Magistrates’ Court on Monday in connection to the shootout, which saw gunshots exchanged during a car chase between police and a BMW just before midnight Thursday.
Scotland Yard said officers chased the vehicle for more than a mile from Waltham Forest to Bective Road, Forest Gate, after it “failed to stop for police”.
You may also want to watch:
The men have been remanded in custody to appear at the Old Bailey on August 24.
- 1 Police appeal to bystanders in alleged rape case
- 2 Indian restaurants to try in Newham, as recommended by readers
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Secondary claims to be 'billion-pound school' based on earnings research
- 5 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 6 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 7 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 8 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 9 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 10 Hospitality Day 2021: Newham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed