Forest Gate shisha boss fined £1,300
- Credit: Archant
The owner of an illegal shisha lounge in Forest Gate was fined £1,300 on Friday.
Amin Rahman, the boss of the Grill Garden in Katharine Road, was convicted of two offences under the Health Act at Thames Magistrates’ Court.
He was ordered to pay costs of £991 and a victim surcharge of £120 was also awarded to Newham Council.
Enforcement officers discovered 67 people, some of whom were smoking shisha pipes, in a large, enclosed marquee at the back of the premises during a raid on the Grill Garden.
Rahman had been warned twice by the council that the smoking of tobacco or any other substance including flavoured shisha in any public enclosed room or building is against the law.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Ian Corbett, executive member for infrastructure and environment, said: “This sends a clear, strong message to other shisha operators.”
- 1 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 2 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 3 Operose: Addressing 'understandable' concerns over GP takeover
- 4 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 5 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 6 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 7 Housing campaigners to stage protest in Canning Town over empty homes
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
- 10 Women's FA Cup: West Ham 11 Chichester & Selsey 0