Forest Gate shisha boss fined £1,300
- Credit: Archant
The owner of an illegal shisha lounge in Forest Gate was fined £1,300 on Friday.
Amin Rahman, the boss of the Grill Garden in Katharine Road, was convicted of two offences under the Health Act at Thames Magistrates’ Court.
He was ordered to pay costs of £991 and a victim surcharge of £120 was also awarded to Newham Council.
Enforcement officers discovered 67 people, some of whom were smoking shisha pipes, in a large, enclosed marquee at the back of the premises during a raid on the Grill Garden.
Rahman had been warned twice by the council that the smoking of tobacco or any other substance including flavoured shisha in any public enclosed room or building is against the law.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Ian Corbett, executive member for infrastructure and environment, said: “This sends a clear, strong message to other shisha operators.”
- 1 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 2 West Ham sign World Cup-winning goalkeeper Alphonse Areola on loan
- 3 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 4 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 5 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 6 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 7 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 8 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world
- 9 'Life-saving' service at Canning Town homeless charity scoops £150k
- 10 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections