Forest Gate shisha boss fined £1,300
- Credit: Archant
The owner of an illegal shisha lounge in Forest Gate was fined £1,300 on Friday.
Amin Rahman, the boss of the Grill Garden in Katharine Road, was convicted of two offences under the Health Act at Thames Magistrates’ Court.
He was ordered to pay costs of £991 and a victim surcharge of £120 was also awarded to Newham Council.
Enforcement officers discovered 67 people, some of whom were smoking shisha pipes, in a large, enclosed marquee at the back of the premises during a raid on the Grill Garden.
Rahman had been warned twice by the council that the smoking of tobacco or any other substance including flavoured shisha in any public enclosed room or building is against the law.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Ian Corbett, executive member for infrastructure and environment, said: “This sends a clear, strong message to other shisha operators.”
- 1 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 2 Newham's Covid-19 case rate 'huge' but there is 'light at end of the tunnel'
- 3 Footage shows crowd piling onto train at Canning Town station
- 4 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 5 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 7 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 8 Leyton Orient boss Embleton finally gets his man in Dan Kemp
- 9 Knife-carrying teenager arrested after running from cops
- 10 Barts apologises to family after death of Stratford woman