Forest Gate pickpocket jailed over Stratford phone theft
- Credit: Archant
A pickpocket from Forest Gate has been jailed for 18 weeks for stealing a mobile phone at Stratford station.
Thames Magistrates’ Court heard on Wednesday how Constantin Sandu was detained by station staff on February 27 this year after a woman felt him taking her phone from her jacket pocket as she passed through the ticket barriers.
The 35-year-old was arrested and the woman’s phone recovered.
Sandu, of Windsor Road, was convicted of the theft on the same day he was sentenced.
Sgt Stephen Mulvey said: “This pickpocket was caught in the act, thanks to the attentiveness of the victim and the quick response of station staff.
You may also want to watch:
“While theft of passenger property on the London Underground fell by 30 per cent last year, we continue to work closely with transport operators and the public to further reduce the number of victims.”
British Transport Police advise people to carry valuables in an inside pocket where possible and keep bags zipped up and carried in front of you or tucked under your arm.
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 'Clearly insufficient' - Canning Town teacher in charge of foodbank talks free school meal hampers
- 3 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 4 Artist plans window exhibition to put Newham's artistic talent on the map
- 5 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 8 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 9 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
- 10 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money