Forest Gate pickpocket jailed over Stratford phone theft
- Credit: Archant
A pickpocket from Forest Gate has been jailed for 18 weeks for stealing a mobile phone at Stratford station.
Thames Magistrates’ Court heard on Wednesday how Constantin Sandu was detained by station staff on February 27 this year after a woman felt him taking her phone from her jacket pocket as she passed through the ticket barriers.
The 35-year-old was arrested and the woman’s phone recovered.
Sandu, of Windsor Road, was convicted of the theft on the same day he was sentenced.
Sgt Stephen Mulvey said: “This pickpocket was caught in the act, thanks to the attentiveness of the victim and the quick response of station staff.
You may also want to watch:
“While theft of passenger property on the London Underground fell by 30 per cent last year, we continue to work closely with transport operators and the public to further reduce the number of victims.”
British Transport Police advise people to carry valuables in an inside pocket where possible and keep bags zipped up and carried in front of you or tucked under your arm.
- 1 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 4 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 5 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 6 Flights from London City Airport to Switzerland resume as hub readies for return to international travel
- 7 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job
- 8 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 9 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 10 Newham saw no deaths from Covid-19 at the end of April, figures show