Forest Gate pickpocket jailed over Stratford phone theft
- Credit: Archant
A pickpocket from Forest Gate has been jailed for 18 weeks for stealing a mobile phone at Stratford station.
Thames Magistrates’ Court heard on Wednesday how Constantin Sandu was detained by station staff on February 27 this year after a woman felt him taking her phone from her jacket pocket as she passed through the ticket barriers.
The 35-year-old was arrested and the woman’s phone recovered.
Sandu, of Windsor Road, was convicted of the theft on the same day he was sentenced.
Sgt Stephen Mulvey said: “This pickpocket was caught in the act, thanks to the attentiveness of the victim and the quick response of station staff.
You may also want to watch:
“While theft of passenger property on the London Underground fell by 30 per cent last year, we continue to work closely with transport operators and the public to further reduce the number of victims.”
British Transport Police advise people to carry valuables in an inside pocket where possible and keep bags zipped up and carried in front of you or tucked under your arm.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 4 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 5 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 8 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 9 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines