Forest Gate pickpocket jailed over Stratford phone theft
- Credit: Archant
A pickpocket from Forest Gate has been jailed for 18 weeks for stealing a mobile phone at Stratford station.
Thames Magistrates’ Court heard on Wednesday how Constantin Sandu was detained by station staff on February 27 this year after a woman felt him taking her phone from her jacket pocket as she passed through the ticket barriers.
The 35-year-old was arrested and the woman’s phone recovered.
Sandu, of Windsor Road, was convicted of the theft on the same day he was sentenced.
Sgt Stephen Mulvey said: “This pickpocket was caught in the act, thanks to the attentiveness of the victim and the quick response of station staff.
You may also want to watch:
“While theft of passenger property on the London Underground fell by 30 per cent last year, we continue to work closely with transport operators and the public to further reduce the number of victims.”
British Transport Police advise people to carry valuables in an inside pocket where possible and keep bags zipped up and carried in front of you or tucked under your arm.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 3 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 4 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 5 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 6 Carpenters Estate neighbours to vote on redevelopment plans
- 7 High Court judge rules no further action needed over embargo breach by Newham company boss
- 8 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 9 Brilliant moment for Okoflex as he nets in West Ham's win at Celtic
- 10 Boy, 16, found stabbed in Custom House