Forest Gate man jailed for four years after holding up off-licence with imitation firearm

Giedrius Skliaudys was jailed for four years at Inner London Crown Court

Giedrius Skliaudys was jailed for four years at Inner London Crown Court - Credit: Archant

A man who held up an off-licence to get a pack of cigarettes and alcohol has been jailed for four years.

A look-out who stood guard was jailed for two and a half years for possession of an imitation firearm.

Giedrius Skliaudys, 30, a mechanic of Lansdown Road, Forest Gate went into Lucky Food and Wine in Plashet Grove, East Ham at around 11pm on March 31 this year.

He asked two shop assistants for wine but was turned away as he could not pay for it.

He came back minutes later and tried to leave with two bottles of beer. One of the shop assistants tried to stop Skliaudys by holding him. Skliaudys made to hit the assistant with the bottles and the assistant defended himself with a cricket bat, but he was struck on the back of the head by an unknown male. The assistant fell to the floor, suffering cuts and bruises in the process, and Skliaudys ran off.

He returned at around 20 minutes after midnight with what appeared to be a handgun and tormented shop staff for 25 minutes by pointing the weapon at them and shouting: “I can kill anyone. I will only do five years.”

The shop assistants gave into Skliaudys’ demands for a bottle of brandy and a packet of cigarettes which he then left the shop with.

Most Read

Outside, he was joined by Nerijus Rutkahskas, 28, a labourer of Lansdown Road, Forest Gate, caught on CCTV pacing up and down outside the shop, acting as a look-out.

The pair were followed by a mini-cab driver who called 999 and gave police a running commentary as they fled down Katherine Road until firearms officers arrived.

The alcohol, cigarettes and an air pistol loaded with two pellets were recovered nearby. The men were arrested and taken to Forest Gate Police Station.

Skliaudys pleaded guilty to robbery, possession of an imitation firearm at the time of committing an offence and theft. He was sentenced at Inner London Crown Court to four years imprisonment.

Rutkahskas pleaded not guilty to possession of an imitation firearm while committing an offence, common assault and robbery. He was found guilty of possession of an imitation firearm at Inner Crown Court on September 16 2013, for which he was sentenced to two and a half years imprisonment. He was cleared of common assault and robbery.