Forest Gate killer guilty after baseball bat brawl

Emdadul Islam (left) and Yasin Patel. Pictures: Met Police

Emdadul Islam (left) and Yasin Patel. Pictures: Met Police - Credit: Met Police

A man who bludgeoned his victim to death in an “alarming, sudden attack” in Upton Park has been found guilty of manslaughter.

Emdadul Islam, 23, struck 31-year-old Titu Miah over the head with a baseball bat after a mass brawl broke out in Plashet Road, which also saw a teenager stabbed repeatedly.

The Old Bailey heard that the 16-year-old victim and friends were in Plashet Road the afternoon of October 12 when a Mercedes containing Miah and his stepson, Yasin Patel, pulled up near them.

As the group scrambled in different directions, Patel chased down and stabbed the 16-year-old multiple times in his left leg and chest, Miah joining in the attack while he was on the ground.

Meanwhile Islam, of Fowler Road, Forest Gate, was having his hair cut in a nearby barber shop. Grabbing a baseball bat from the boot of his car, he approached Miah from behind and struck on the back of his head, fracturing his skull. He then hit him again after he fell to the floor.

Islam drove away from the scene but returned to the barbers a short time later — while police and paramedics tended to the injured boy.

Medics called to the scene just before 3.30pm rushed the 16-year-old to an east London hospital.

Most Read

He was discharged with no “serious, long-lasting injuries”, the Met said, and subsequently arrested on suspicion of violent disorder. The teenager was later released with no further action, along with four males arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm.

Miah, from Plaistow, died from his head injury five days after the attack, a post-mortem exam found.

Investigating the attack, Detectives from the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command uncovered CCTV footage of Islam arriving in his BMW and visiting the barbers before the brawl.

After detectives tracked down the BMW, Islam’s solicitor contacted police the following day to say Islam would hand himself in.

The next day, October 23, Islam was arrested and charged.

Patel, 21, was charged on November 3 in relation the stabbed teenager.

The pair appeared at the Old Bailey on Thursday, April 12.

A jury today found Islam guilty of manslaughter following a two-week trial. He also pleaded guilty to possessing an offensive weapon at the start of proceedings.

Patel, of Queen’s Road West, Plaistow, denied grievous bodily harm with intent, and possession of an offensive weapon in relation to the stabbing, but pleaded guilty on the first day of the trial.

Islam will be sentenced on Wednesday, May 2; Patel the following day.

“It appears that Islam was not involved in the initial fight which Titu was a part of, but he took it upon himself to casually arm himself with a baseball bat and carry out an alarming, sudden attack on Titu which resulted in a critical head injury from which he could not recover,” said Det Sgt Perry Benton, who led the investigation.

“Patel was identified as the person who stabbed the 16-year-old victim who fortunately did not suffer serious, lasting injury. The motive for this attack is unclear, although we believe it may have been due to a disagreement between Patel and a relative of the victim.

“This was a despicable show of violence in broad daylight on a residential street which resulted in a man dead and a young victim stabbed, and two people now facing long jail terms for their part in this incident.”