Forest Gate bank robbery prompts £5,000 Crimestoppers reward
- Credit: Archant
Crimestoppers are offering a reward of up to £5,000 for information about a string of violent armed robberies, including one in Forest Gate.
The five incidents, four of which took place at banks, were carried out in east London between May 2016 and May 2017.
They include the now-closed Santander on Woodgrange Road, which was targeted at around 2.45am on June 28, 2016.
Security guards were topping up a cash machine when two gunmen threatened them and stole a significant amount of money before escaping in a silver VW Scirocco.
It is believed that one group is responsible for all five incidents, which also saw the Santander in Mare Street, Hackney, targeted twice along with Nationwide on Walthamstow High Street and Cyprofood in Brantwood Road, Edmonton.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone with information is asked to call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. Information passed directly to police will not qualify for the reward.
Det Ch Insp Nick Blackburn said: “An increasing amount of violence is being used during these offences and we need the public’s help to identify the suspects, their firearms and the stolen cars they escaped in.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Player ratings: Cresswell shines for West Ham in KRC Genk victory
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
“Any piece of information, no matter how small, could be what we need to identify the men responsible for these crimes.”
May 23, 2016, Edmonton: Two victims threatened at gunpoint, one pistol-whipped.
June 28, 2016, Forest Gate: Guards threatened at gunpoint, cash stolen.
August 29, 2016, Hackney: Guards threatened at gunpoint, cash stolen.
December 3, 2016, Hackney: Guards ambushed inside bank, suspects fought off and fled empty-handed. No weapons seen.
May 18, 2017, Walthamstow: Guards threatened and one shot in legs and buttock, cash stolen.