Forest Gate bank robbery prompts £5,000 Crimestoppers reward
- Credit: Archant
Crimestoppers are offering a reward of up to £5,000 for information about a string of violent armed robberies, including one in Forest Gate.
The five incidents, four of which took place at banks, were carried out in east London between May 2016 and May 2017.
They include the now-closed Santander on Woodgrange Road, which was targeted at around 2.45am on June 28, 2016.
Security guards were topping up a cash machine when two gunmen threatened them and stole a significant amount of money before escaping in a silver VW Scirocco.
It is believed that one group is responsible for all five incidents, which also saw the Santander in Mare Street, Hackney, targeted twice along with Nationwide on Walthamstow High Street and Cyprofood in Brantwood Road, Edmonton.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone with information is asked to call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. Information passed directly to police will not qualify for the reward.
Det Ch Insp Nick Blackburn said: “An increasing amount of violence is being used during these offences and we need the public’s help to identify the suspects, their firearms and the stolen cars they escaped in.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 3 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 4 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 5 High Court judge rules no further action needed over embargo breach by Newham company boss
- 6 Carpenters Estate neighbours to vote on redevelopment plans
- 7 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 8 Boy, 16, found stabbed in Custom House
- 9 Man injured as glass falls from Canning Town bus station canopy
- 10 Man suffers 'life-changing' injuries in Plaistow bicycle crash
“Any piece of information, no matter how small, could be what we need to identify the men responsible for these crimes.”
May 23, 2016, Edmonton: Two victims threatened at gunpoint, one pistol-whipped.
June 28, 2016, Forest Gate: Guards threatened at gunpoint, cash stolen.
August 29, 2016, Hackney: Guards threatened at gunpoint, cash stolen.
December 3, 2016, Hackney: Guards ambushed inside bank, suspects fought off and fled empty-handed. No weapons seen.
May 18, 2017, Walthamstow: Guards threatened and one shot in legs and buttock, cash stolen.