Forest Gate bank robbery prompts £5,000 Crimestoppers reward
- Credit: Archant
Crimestoppers are offering a reward of up to £5,000 for information about a string of violent armed robberies, including one in Forest Gate.
The five incidents, four of which took place at banks, were carried out in east London between May 2016 and May 2017.
They include the now-closed Santander on Woodgrange Road, which was targeted at around 2.45am on June 28, 2016.
Security guards were topping up a cash machine when two gunmen threatened them and stole a significant amount of money before escaping in a silver VW Scirocco.
It is believed that one group is responsible for all five incidents, which also saw the Santander in Mare Street, Hackney, targeted twice along with Nationwide on Walthamstow High Street and Cyprofood in Brantwood Road, Edmonton.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone with information is asked to call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. Information passed directly to police will not qualify for the reward.
Det Ch Insp Nick Blackburn said: “An increasing amount of violence is being used during these offences and we need the public’s help to identify the suspects, their firearms and the stolen cars they escaped in.
- 1 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 2 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 3 Election candidate slams plans for Durning Hall in Forest Gate
- 4 Newham schoolchildren enjoy holiday activities as part of programme pilot
- 5 Hundreds of customers descend on reopened retailers
- 6 Newham pubs and bars reopening for outdoor service
- 7 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 8 Tributes to 'hero' charity founder who dedicated life to Newham children
- 9 Newham men who bought BMW M5 in £112,000 fraud sentenced
- 10 Stratford was busiest station on TfL network last year, data reveals
“Any piece of information, no matter how small, could be what we need to identify the men responsible for these crimes.”
May 23, 2016, Edmonton: Two victims threatened at gunpoint, one pistol-whipped.
June 28, 2016, Forest Gate: Guards threatened at gunpoint, cash stolen.
August 29, 2016, Hackney: Guards threatened at gunpoint, cash stolen.
December 3, 2016, Hackney: Guards ambushed inside bank, suspects fought off and fled empty-handed. No weapons seen.
May 18, 2017, Walthamstow: Guards threatened and one shot in legs and buttock, cash stolen.