Football fans in pub fight after West Ham’s victory over Arsenal
- Credit: Empics Sports Photography Ltd.
A fight broke out between football fans at a pub shortly after West Ham’s season opener with Arsenal.
Supporters were involved in a fight at the White Swan pub in Upper Street, Islington, on Sunday evening.
Earlier that day, the Hammers had beaten their London rivals 2-0 at the nearby Emirates Stadium.
A video posted online shows missiles including chairs thrown from the pub, owned by JD Wetherspoon.
Alessia Matteoli was passing by the pub when the fight broke out.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “I was walking by and bottles started to be thrown.
“There was probably about 20 of them, they all looked about 30 plus.
- 1 Traffic cameras installed to catch Newham drivers who ignore road signs
- 2 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 3 Foodbank offering lifeline to foreign students left destitute by pandemic
- 4 Parking charges, Covid, unneutered cats and driving into London
- 5 Man arrested after car smashes into house in Maryland
- 6 Plans for special needs hub at Little Ilford School given green light
- 7 East Ham barber disappointed by Covid-19 lockdown easing roadmap
- 8 Guilty: Men from Forest Gate and East Ham who raped two women during brothel robbery
- 9 Upminster killer boasted about hacking teen to death with machete in street
- 10 Person found dead on tracks at Plaistow Underground station
“They weren’t wearing football shirts but there were chants, they were chanting over each other.”
Some of the chants contained expletives and were directed at opposition fans.
Alessia, who lives in Haringay, added: “The police were really good, they came within five or ten minutes.
“The pub was really smashed up, though. Chairs were flying.”
The 31-year-old said that she initially hadn’t realised the match had been on and that it took her a while to make the connection.
“I follow Italian football, and I filmed it ironically because Italian football has a bad reputation,” she said.
“There were a few men filming it too, but I was the only one to get pushed to stop filming it.”
A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: “Police in Islington were called to a pub in Upper Street, Islington at approximately 19:10hrs on Sunday, 9 August following reports of a large fight between rival football fans.
“Officers attended and those involved in the disturbance dispersed. There were no reports of any serious injuries.”
Eyewitness accounts on Twitter claim fans from West Ham and Arsenal were involved, but a West Ham spokesman said that there was no evidence to show Hammers fans were among those brawling.
Enquiries into the circumstances behind the fight are underway.
No arrests have been made.