Five in court over Westfield attempted jewellery smash and grab
- Credit: Archant
Five men charged in connection with an attempted smash and grab at a jewellery store in Westfield Stratford City have appeared in court.
Steven Raine, 28, Wayne Worrell, 23, Kaval Kaychurn, 23, Ronan O’Brien, 25, Ian Rawlings, 20, appeared at Lavender Hill Magistrates Court on Friday charged with conspiracy to rob a jewellery store at the shopping centre on September 5.
They were remanded in custody and are due to appear at Kingston Crown Court on September 20.
Four men approached Breitling jewellers on the ground floor of the shopping centre shortly after midnight and began smashing the glass cases.
Nothing was stolen and the suspects were arrested at the scene as a result of a proactive operation involving Newham’s Flying Squad and officers from the SCO19 Specialist Firearms Command.
You may also want to watch:
A fifth suspect, who was waiting outside in a van, drove off but was later traced to an address in Islington and arrested.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 4 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 8 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 9 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley