Five in court over Westfield attempted jewellery smash and grab
- Credit: Archant
Five men charged in connection with an attempted smash and grab at a jewellery store in Westfield Stratford City have appeared in court.
Steven Raine, 28, Wayne Worrell, 23, Kaval Kaychurn, 23, Ronan O’Brien, 25, Ian Rawlings, 20, appeared at Lavender Hill Magistrates Court on Friday charged with conspiracy to rob a jewellery store at the shopping centre on September 5.
They were remanded in custody and are due to appear at Kingston Crown Court on September 20.
Four men approached Breitling jewellers on the ground floor of the shopping centre shortly after midnight and began smashing the glass cases.
Nothing was stolen and the suspects were arrested at the scene as a result of a proactive operation involving Newham’s Flying Squad and officers from the SCO19 Specialist Firearms Command.
You may also want to watch:
A fifth suspect, who was waiting outside in a van, drove off but was later traced to an address in Islington and arrested.
- 1 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 2 West Ham United reveal 2021/22 Umbro Third Kit
- 3 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 4 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 5 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 6 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 7 Meet the Forest Gate pastor supporting athletes at Tokyo Olympics 2020
- 8 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 9 Kitchens from independent chefs coming to Beckton in Raymond Blanc-supported project
- 10 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016