East Ham father, 25, dies after police stop car in Beckton
- Credit: Archant
A young father from East Ham who was left fighting for his life after police stopped a car in Beckton has died.
Edir Frederico Da Costa, who was known as Edson, was one of three people travelling in the vehicle which was stopped in Woodcocks near Tollgate Road, on June 15 at around 10pm.
During the stop as officers tried to detain the 25-year-old they used force and CS gas and he became unwell.
He was rushed to hospital in an ambulance and remained in a critical condition until he died yesterday.
The father-of-one’s girlfriend is pregnant with his second child and the pair had discussed marriage just hours before Edson’s death, according to her cousin.
You may also want to watch:
A preliminary post mortem concluded there were no injuries to suggest severe force was used on Edson. Last week the Independent Police Complaints Commission launched an investigation and today a spokesman said they were sending out investigators to make door-to-door enquires to find any potential witnesses.
Tom Milsom, IPCC’s associate commissioner, said: “My thoughts are with the family and friends of this young man and all those affected. We are committed to conducting a comprehensive investigation and I would urge anyone with information to support our efforts.”
- 1 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 2 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 3 West Ham United reveal 2021/22 Umbro Third Kit
- 4 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 5 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 6 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 7 Meet the Forest Gate pastor supporting athletes at Tokyo Olympics 2020
- 8 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 9 Kitchens from independent chefs coming to Beckton in Raymond Blanc-supported project
- 10 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
The IPCC is appealing for anyone who witnessed the police stop to email email@example.com or call 0800 096 9073.