FA to investigate violence at West Ham’s final Boleyn match

Fans outside the Boleyn pub

Fans outside the Boleyn pub - Credit: Archant

The Football Association (FA) has condemned the violent scenes reported outside the Boleyn Ground ahead of West Ham’s final game at Upton Park last night.


The club has also threatened life bans for anyone responsible for the scenes, which delayed kick-off by 45 minutes.

Home fans hurled bottles at Manchester United’s team coach, with a Met Police spokesman confirming four officers and a member of the public were injured during the disorder.

When the match did eventually start, Red Devils goalkeeper David De Gea was hit by bottles as he celebrated Anthony Martial’s first of two goals.

The FA later confirmed they will investigate the trouble both pre-match and during the game.

Fans outside the Boleyn pub

Fans outside the Boleyn pub - Credit: Archant

A statement read: “The FA strongly condemns the unsavoury incidents this evening involving both the Manchester United team coach outside West Ham United’s Boleyn Ground and objects thrown from a section of the home support during the game.

“We will work closely with both clubs and the Metropolitan Police to fully investigate these matters.”

Most Read

No arrests have been made, although inquiries will continue.

A Met Police spokesman said: “We are aware that a number of items were thrown towards Manchester United’s coach.

Fans outside the Boleyn pub

Fans outside the Boleyn pub - Credit: Archant

“Damage was caused to the coach but there are no reported injuries to the passengers.”

On the pitch, the Hammers bid farewell to the Boleyn with a 3-2 victory with goals from Diafra Sakho, Michail Antonio and Winston Reid.

West Ham will move to Stratford’s Olympic Stadium from next season, ending a 112-year affiliation with Upton Park.

A spokesman from West Ham United said: “It was an extraordinary night full of extraordinary moments in front of extraordinary fans, 99 per cent of whom behaved impeccably and were a credit to the club.

“We have already had thousands of tweets and emails from fans to say how proud they were to be a part of such a special evening in West Ham’s history.

“However, we are aware that there were some supporters outside the Boleyn Ground who didn’t act in an appropriate way when the Manchester United team bus was damaged.

“That was not acceptable and we will work with the police to identify those responsible and ban them for life.”

A 20-year-old was arrested inside the ground on suspicion of affray while men aged 18 and 47 were arrested for pitch incursion.

Anyone with information regarding the criminal damage to the coach and objects thrown should contact police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Were you at the game? Email mark.shales@archant.co.uk or call 020 8477 3824.