Eight arrested on suspicion of human trafficking following Newham and Ilford dawn raids
- Credit: Archant
Eight people believed to be part of an international human trafficking group have been arrested following a series of dawn raids across Newham and Ilford.
Officers carrying out the raids, which took place yesterday (Tuesday) also found 33 potential victims of human trafficking at four of the properties, including five children. They have all been taken to a place of safety.
Three women, aged 37, 44 and 50, and five men, aged 26, 35, 41, 44 and 48, were all arrested on suspicion of human trafficking and money laundering.
The 26-year-old man was also arrested on suspicion of false imprisonment.
They currently remain in custody at a central London police station.
Police visited properties in Perth Road and Wellesley Road, Ilford, as well as two in Mitcham Road, East Ham.
Others took place in Cotswold Gardens and Caledon Road, East Ham, and Earlham Grove and Neville Road, Forest Gate.
- 1 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 2 Alexandra Burke: Stratford Christmas concert cancelled over 'safety fears'
- 3 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 4 Multi-vehicle collision in Canning Town leads to one driver being cut free
- 5 'We have been failed': Newham families face eviction by council
- 6 Burglar posing as police officer 'preyed upon the elderly'
- 7 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 8 Nine rescue pets looking for homes this Christmas in east London
- 9 Newham residents urged to shop local on Small Business Saturday
- 10 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
Additional warrants were carried out by Romanian authorities as part of the same operation, resulting in the arrest of three men and one woman.