Eight arrested on suspicion of human trafficking following Newham and Ilford dawn raids
- Credit: Archant
Eight people believed to be part of an international human trafficking group have been arrested following a series of dawn raids across Newham and Ilford.
Officers carrying out the raids, which took place yesterday (Tuesday) also found 33 potential victims of human trafficking at four of the properties, including five children. They have all been taken to a place of safety.
Three women, aged 37, 44 and 50, and five men, aged 26, 35, 41, 44 and 48, were all arrested on suspicion of human trafficking and money laundering.
The 26-year-old man was also arrested on suspicion of false imprisonment.
They currently remain in custody at a central London police station.
You may also want to watch:
Police visited properties in Perth Road and Wellesley Road, Ilford, as well as two in Mitcham Road, East Ham.
Others took place in Cotswold Gardens and Caledon Road, East Ham, and Earlham Grove and Neville Road, Forest Gate.
- 1 Traffic cameras installed to catch Newham drivers who ignore road signs
- 2 Man arrested after car smashes into house in Maryland
- 3 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 4 Foodbank offering lifeline to foreign students left destitute by pandemic
- 5 Parking charges, Covid, unneutered cats and driving into London
- 6 East Ham barber disappointed by Covid-19 lockdown easing roadmap
- 7 Person found dead on tracks at Plaistow Underground station
- 8 East Ham money laundering suspect arrested in people smuggling probe
- 9 Council loses court action against Barclays Bank
- 10 Plans for special needs hub at Little Ilford School given green light
Additional warrants were carried out by Romanian authorities as part of the same operation, resulting in the arrest of three men and one woman.