Eight arrested on suspicion of human trafficking following Newham and Ilford dawn raids
- Credit: Archant
Eight people believed to be part of an international human trafficking group have been arrested following a series of dawn raids across Newham and Ilford.
Officers carrying out the raids, which took place yesterday (Tuesday) also found 33 potential victims of human trafficking at four of the properties, including five children. They have all been taken to a place of safety.
Three women, aged 37, 44 and 50, and five men, aged 26, 35, 41, 44 and 48, were all arrested on suspicion of human trafficking and money laundering.
The 26-year-old man was also arrested on suspicion of false imprisonment.
They currently remain in custody at a central London police station.
You may also want to watch:
Police visited properties in Perth Road and Wellesley Road, Ilford, as well as two in Mitcham Road, East Ham.
Others took place in Cotswold Gardens and Caledon Road, East Ham, and Earlham Grove and Neville Road, Forest Gate.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 3 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 4 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 5 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 6 Primary school recognised for supporting pupils' mental wellbeing
- 7 Free summer school offers music, fashion, hip hop dance and more
- 8 Average house price in Newham slides again after record February
- 9 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 10 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
Additional warrants were carried out by Romanian authorities as part of the same operation, resulting in the arrest of three men and one woman.