Eight arrested on suspicion of human trafficking following Newham and Ilford dawn raids
- Credit: Archant
Eight people believed to be part of an international human trafficking group have been arrested following a series of dawn raids across Newham and Ilford.
Officers carrying out the raids, which took place yesterday (Tuesday) also found 33 potential victims of human trafficking at four of the properties, including five children. They have all been taken to a place of safety.
Three women, aged 37, 44 and 50, and five men, aged 26, 35, 41, 44 and 48, were all arrested on suspicion of human trafficking and money laundering.
The 26-year-old man was also arrested on suspicion of false imprisonment.
They currently remain in custody at a central London police station.
You may also want to watch:
Police visited properties in Perth Road and Wellesley Road, Ilford, as well as two in Mitcham Road, East Ham.
Others took place in Cotswold Gardens and Caledon Road, East Ham, and Earlham Grove and Neville Road, Forest Gate.
- 1 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 2 Footage shows crowd piling onto train at Canning Town station
- 3 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 4 Newham's Covid-19 case rate 'huge' but there is 'light at end of the tunnel'
- 5 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 6 NHS Nightingale London opens to patients without Covid-19
- 7 Volunteers out to bust Covid jab myths and false conspiracy theories
- 8 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 9 NHS 'concerned' about Covid vaccine uptake in Newham
- 10 Serial fraudster who set up fake real estate company jailed for six years
Additional warrants were carried out by Romanian authorities as part of the same operation, resulting in the arrest of three men and one woman.